Cats, Mice, Decon: A Cautionary Tale
As if we don't have enough to worry about ...
5 yrs ago I visited my parents for Christmas w/ my two kittydren, Justin and Cooper. Dad warned me a mouse had made a home in our antique pipe organ. Unfortunately, he had put some Decon out but reported that he found the mouse dead prior to my arrival and took up the Decon. (I say unfortunately because I think this is a cruel way to catch a little pesk, preferring more humane traps and by humane I do NOT mean that awful sticky stuff).
Well, the mouse left behind some micedren in the pipe organ. The babies had probably eaten some Decon themselves, perhaps brought to them by the unknowing mother. Justin and Cooper caught some of these sluggish, sick mice (Cooper's not sharp enough to catch healthy ones) and likely ate them. We caught a few mice in time to take them outside, literally pulling them from the jaws of death with much screaming to startle the feline predators into dropping them.
I found blood in the litter box a few days later. Petrified the cats were exposed to the Decon, which is an anticoagulant that can cause internal bleeding, I rushed both to my vet. Blood tests checked out normal but I opted to give them the antidote, vitamin K tablets, just in case. I gave them 30 days of twice a day pills and saw no further evidence of possible internal bleeding.
Please remember to make sure homes you visit over the holidays don't use rat poison!
"There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person." - Dan Greenberg