My cat bites my head - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat bites my head

I couldn't find any answers to this online, so I thought I'd ask someone here...

I recently took on ownership of my friend's cat. (He found her on the street in August. Turned out she was pregnant, so he kept her until after her kittens were weened. He wanted to keep her but had to give her away because she got into cat fights with his live-in girlfriend's cat.) So, I've had her for three weeks. Three times I've woken up to her biting my head. It doesn't really hurt, but I find the behavior odd. She has never bitten my boyfriend's head. I asked my friend about it, and he said she had bitten his head once or twice but never his girlfriend. Is this some weird dominance thing? Has anyone else had this happen? It's happened during the day too if I was taking a nap, so I don't think she's trying to wake me up to feed her (plus my boyfriend is the one who feeds her in the mornings).

Any takes on this would be much appreciated.
jlharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

my cat does the same thing i think. My cats bites and pulls my hair, i have no clue why but i think it is funny, when my cat does this she sometimes bites my head, maybe your cat is trying to do the same thing or maybe he likes your shampoo

Nikita
kittylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I read that when a cat plays with your hair that it is a compliment (!) because they think enough of you to "groom you" like they would another cat. If it doesn't hurt I would take it in the spirit it's intended!
PeanutsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My little baby willow rubs her head against mine I see that as her bonding with me or something.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

well my cat must hate me because it really hurts when she does it. She runs my hair in between her teeth and she pulls up on it little devil. It's kinda funny though when she is doing it because she does it when u least expect it, like when i am sleeping.

Nikita
kittylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default head biting

My boy Sundance does this to everyone; fortunately, he only rarely does it to me!

It started when a friend let him play with her ponytail. It became an obsession...he goes after any head that appears in his sights...he even chews on Jackson's (shaved!) head! He does seem to prefer some heads over others; maybe the shampoo? He can get very carried away, and then it does hurt!

I think it probably is a mutual grooming thing; a sign of affection and respect. They use their incisors to pick out fleas, mats, etc .on themselves and each other. So it *can* become a bite. But not likely a deliberate effort to hurt. Just a bit of overzealousness!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
drjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: head biting

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjean
My boy Sundance does this to everyone; fortunately, he only rarely does it to me!

It started when a friend let him play with her ponytail.
I know it is not related to cats but I have to mention this. I had a dog when I was in highschool that loved to play with my ponytail. We would go up in the woods close to the mountain and whenever I got tired I sat down on a little hill and he was entertaining himself with my pony tail. It was so sweet.
It may be different with dogs however. Cats do it to groom and dogs to play.
Well his name was Little Paw (it was Labus in Romanian) and he was an amazing dog. I miss him so much!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

My cat often wakes me up by laying in my hair that's on my pillow, he'll start to knead the hair, bury his face in it, and sometimes lick it (as if grooming). At first I thought it was really weird, but I've gotten more accustomed to it.
JenUrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

One of my cats (Solstice) plays with my hair, every once in a while. However, more often she will push her nose into my face, when she wants me to get up early in the mornings. She can be persistant in her attempts to get me up. Yet, I know her personality, and I also know that she does this as a gesture of friendship. Many times, when I do get up at her beckoning, only to find that my menagerie is out of food or water, and sometimes both.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I wake up nearly every morning at around 5am with my kitty sitting on my pillow and chewing on my hair. Its funny but I keep pushing her off the bed so I can go back to sleep. Glad to hear it happens to others and that it is a friendly thing!
tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement