Jack "squeaks" when I pick him up - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Jack "squeaks" when I pick him up

Yeah...Jack kind of makes a squeaking noise when I pick him up, no matter how carefully. He has done this ever since I got him. It kind of sounds like he's trying to meow, but something inside of him is blocking the noise coming out, and it comes out like a squeak. Do you think he's in pain?

He's about 9 pounds (solid not fat), so he's not a featherweight, and I do need to support his front and his back so that it's not a strain on him. He seems well supported and everything. He doesn't seem to *love* being picked up -- but he doesn't freak out either. I'm just slowly trying to get him used to it so that if I need to hold him for something in the future he won't be upset. Is he okay?
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Our one guy, Coco "meeps", probably like Jack's "squeek". That is Coco's nosie. He doesn't do the "meow" or any variation of it. "Meep" is a close as he gets. He also does it if he is picked up. I doubt that it is hurting him, and he squirms to get away, but he doesn't like being held much anyway. If I make it quick, as in to lift him from the floor to the desk, he won't make a sound. But if I pick him up to give him the kisses, well that's different.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art. (Tom Stoppard)

coco & little guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My cat Twinkie kinda lets out this whiff of air when I pick him up, kind of like his heart skipped a beat of something, it's weird. I doubt your hurting your cat though.

Kim
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My cat used to do that too. I always pick her up very gently and support her legs, so i doubt its hurting her. I dont know why they do it.
Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My mom's Siamese cat Simbah does that. He is 9 now....and he has done it ever since we got him when he was 1. It's funny!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It just scares me a little because it sounds like he's straining -- like I am squeezing air out of him or something, or like he has an obstruction.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

my cat always makes little crying noises when i pick him up... i think its just somethin your cat does and no worries!

^^^ my cats Noel, Tony and Bailey
bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My cat, who is just about one year old, makes an almost grunting noise when you first go to do anything to him when he's resting. And quite often he'll make that squeaking noise when he gets picked up. He hardly ever meows and when he does it comes out all weird like he has a speech impetiment. So I guess each cat has his or her own noises that they make.
seppy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

My boy Tux also lets out a whiff of air and makes an ummph sound when I pick him up. I think it is quite normal. I'll try carrying him up a bit gentler this time, and see if he still squeaks.
threecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement