What cats don't like - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default What cats don't like

Hi!

I heard cats don't like aluminium foil. Is that true? If I would put aluminium foil around the counters and tables would they stop going there? Or would I have to cover the whole counter & whole table? I read the web site http://www.petcaretips.net/cat_on_counter.html and they say:

".......Covering a counter with plastic or tin foil should also do the trick......"

What kind of foil should I use?

Also, what is your experience with sticky paws? I remember that ndkittymom said there was lot of hair on it...and was hard to prepare food with all the hair around... (I don't remember her exact words).

They say they are scared of noises (like cans full of coins) and water guns.

Is there anything else they don't like?

Any sugestions?

Thanks all!
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Not all cats dislike the same things. My girls love foil and sticky tape. They actually rip tape off of boxes and play with it. Generally, I think loud noises and squirt guns are nearly universal, but your cats might be the exception. You can try spraying with lemon furniture oil or bitter apple sary, but it's really a matter of trial and error.
Rayona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks Rayona.

Our cats like sticky tape too. We moved to a different place (then we got the cats) and we had many boxes from moving. They played with the tapes all the time!

They are not scared of water too.

I didn't try the foil. Still don't know what kind of foil I should try??? Like transparent plastic foil? The one I use for wrapping food (plates, etc)? Or the aluminium foil?

Where can I find lemon furniture oil or bitter apple sary?

I bought in per store some sprey - called something like Cat repellent - it didn't help at all. They even seemed liking it because after I sprayed the table they came and walk on it and smelled it... But wouldn't leave.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Sorry, I meant bitter apple SPRAY. That you can find at any pet store. Lemon furniture spray is something for dusting, like Pledge (or whatever brand you have in Canada). I didn't realize you called clear wrap foil as well--down here it is called plastic or cling wrap. Foil (here) is the aluminum metalic stuff, and that you can try. Some cats hate the noise and others really like it. For me, nothing really works, so I just put the cats on the floor and say No! when I see them on the counter or tables.
Rayona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I've been having success using aluminum foil to deter my cats. They were scratching the side of my mattress on my bed, so I covered the area with aluminum foil and they have left it alone since.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thank you Rayona and KerriKitty! I think we call it in Canada wrap too - it's my mistake because English is my second language.

Do I have to cover the whole table with the foil? Or just the edges? How do you glue them? with scotch tape?

I see what you mean by lemon spray! Yes, we have it here, I used to use it for polishing furniture (few months ago). I didn't see bitter apple spray, do you know if they have it in Pets mart? I think it's American store. Still, I couldn't find it there. Just the one called No-Stay furniture spray - which doesn't work with my cats.

Thank you sooooooo muchhhh!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

It was actually the box spring the kitties were scratching, not the top mattress, so what I did was tuck one edge of the foil in between the two and let the rest of it drape over the box spring, hiding the side. I guess I lucked out that way! If you aren't wrapping the foil around an edge or something like that (so that it clings) then I would say scotch tape would work fine!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

A little while ago, my cat (who is not here anymore) hated foil!!! She was so frightened of it. If she was eating, and i got the foil out she would run away very fast. I could never work out why she was so frightened of it.

Ive heard that cats dont like citrus. And that spraying something lemony or orangy onto where your cat scratches is worth trying. Whenever i put something citrus smelling under my cats nose, she hates it. She often scratches up the carpet by the door if it is shut, and on the chairs too. She never used to scratch the chairs, but has started to all of a sudden, even though she has a scratch post.
Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks guys!!!
Advertisement