Siamese cat behavior - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Siamese cat behavior

Simon is proving to be different than my other cats, I am wondering if this is siamese related, or just because I have known all my cats since kittenhood, and simon is already two years old.

The first thing he does is really annoy us at night, he wants us to be awake all night long, and he gets right in our face at night to try and wake us up. He is very lovey and wants to be petted, but only at night when we are sleeping.

He also has a very loud meow, when he wants something he is very loud about it.

Now the really weird thing, He was after a fly earlier today. It was flying around the house. He kept chasing it around and chattering at it. He reminded me of a bird chatting. Like trrroww trrrowwww, and he was chattering his teeth together, like clicking his teeth. I have never heard a cat sound like that before. Is that Siamese typical, or just his particular way of meowing?

As he grows more comfortable here I am noticing his personality more and more. If any one can give me ideas of Siamese typical behaviors I couyld be watching for I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Don't know about the up in your face at night, but maybe you should try to have a play session with him before bed time so he grows tired (remember cats sleeps a lot during the day and are night animals).

Siamese cats talk a lot and can be very loud! I'm not surpised at all if you hear many funny sounds from your cat, I know one cat that sounds as he's speaking real words. So it sounds like your cat is very much a Siamese.
CyberPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
The first thing he does is really annoy us at night, he wants us to be awake all night long, and he gets right in our face at night to try and wake us up. He is very lovey and wants to be petted, but only at night when we are sleeping.
Sabby did this all the time when he was younger. I don't think its a trait specific to Siamese, though. Play therapy might help here.

Quote:
He also has a very loud meow, when he wants something he is very loud about it.
Now that is Siamese! I hope you learn to love it, cuz there ain't no changing it!

Quote:
Now the really weird thing, He was after a fly earlier today. It was flying around the house. He kept chasing it around and chattering at it. He reminded me of a bird chatting. Like trrroww trrrowwww, and he was chattering his teeth together, like clicking his teeth. I have never heard a cat sound like that before. Is that Siamese typical, or just his particular way of meowing?
Awww...Sabby does this too. I think it's adorable! I've seen my friends non-siamese cats do this as well.

Siamese tend to be exceptionally intelligent (this is not a trait that Sabby inherited from his siamese mother...I love him, but he's kinda dense). Expect him to learn things you don't normally expect a cat to learn, such as open doors. You might even consider trying to teach him tricks like rolling over or jumping through a hoop! They're also more than a little demanding of your time and attention (could explain #1, when I think about it).
Annissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Maleke (Siamese) also does the chattering thing, as does my mom's Siamese cat Simbah.

Maleke has a VERY loud voice when he wants to, that is just a Siamese trait! He loves to hold conversations with me around dinner time, trying to convince me it's time to be fed. It's SO funny! Also when we are outside, he wants to be out too but since he's an indoor cat he only comes out on a harness. So, he will sit in the window sill and meow SO loud. I'm worried the neighbours think we are hurting him!

Your cat sounds normal to me!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Simon does that to! He wants to go outside so badly. I will not allow it! He is so pretty, someone would steal him in a minute! Also it is much to dangerous.

Simon is very demanding of my attention, he follows me around the house meowing at me, he wants me to be petting him all the time. I find it very sweet of him. He is very loud when he wants my attention as well. However it is not any louder than Lilly or Jessy when they want something...it is just a different sounding meow.

Simon is very loveing also, he loves to be cuddled and petted all the time. The other cats are starting to like him more now, and he tries to cuddle with them alot as well.

He is thinner than my other cats though... is this typical of siamese? He is quite long and thin. His hair is slightly longer, I would say medium hair.

I am going to get some film for my camera and hopefully I will have some photos as early as next week. I just cant waight to show him off!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I agree, you have a normal lovebug kitty.

Kota is part Siamese so I know what that loud yowl sounds like! She is also very lovey and sweet but wont cry for attention, just loves when you pet her.

The chattering thing, I have never seen my cats do that but my old tabby cat that lives with my parents would do it all the time.
jonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Some behaviors you listed aren't restricted to Siamese - my cats are mixed, and they all chatter at birds, and other moving animals they can't get. They also used to wake us up at night, but lots of training later, they're very good about just sleeping with us in our bedroom, then playing downstairs when they wake up at 5am.

Like everyone's said, the loud different-sounding meow, now THAT is a Siamese-related trait. Ginza is only part Siamese, and he can talk very loudly. Sometimes it really sounds like he's asking a question. "NOOOOWWWW????" It's soooooo cute.

The thinner sleeker physique is a typical Siamese body type. My Ginza is that way, and other traits he has are: demands A LOT of affection, needs constant reassurance, and sticks to me like glue. He's very sensitive. He's also extremely intelligent. He can open cabinets, doors, and faucets. He likes to step on the handle to flush the toilet. Oh yeah, did I mention, VERY active? He's already 2 yrs old, and shows no sign of slowing down his kitten-like activity levels.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Iwould have to say the same of both our boys. They were strays from our yard, and are probably "Heinz 57" as my dad says. Little Guy (Wittle) has a very loud voice and can be very demanding, especially at dinner time.............but he was the runt of his litter........which could explain that. Both of them exhibit all of the traits already noted. Coco is much quieter and has a tendancy to "meep" and he likes to do silent meows too.

They are both very intelligent, very affecionate, follow us everywhere, and very active for their age (they will be 2 in August). They have no intentions of ever being lap kitties............ .

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art. (Tom Stoppard)

coco & little guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yup, sounds like you have a Siamese I have known several, and Gaylord is half Siamese, and they are VERY loud, have a distinct meow, love to talk, need to be a part of EVERYTHING, and need attention all the time. I love them to death, but others may feel differently I have heard them be called the "dogs" of the cat world And, yes, they tend to be long and lean
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly
He is thinner than my other cats though... is this typical of siamese? He is quite long and thin.
I don't know anything about breed standards, but it seems every purebred siamese that I've known was thin, sleek, had a long tail, and thin legs.

Punky, unfortunately, did not inherit those qualities. She's short, has stubby legs, a small tail, and wide body. (poor girl, genetics didn't go her way. )

Elly, who may not look it, has siamese in her blood. She looked exactly like her mother, except her mom had bright blue eyes. I asked about mom, they said she was half siamese. While little Elly may not have any of the personality traits of a siamese, she's so long and thin, with the long tail and everything else I've noticed about siamese cats.
Padunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement