getting rid of litter box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default getting rid of litter box

Hi there,
I got a cat a month ago and had her use a litter box as she was not spayed yet and i didnt want her outside. I have got her spayed now and she has been going outside. Its great here lots of acreage and places to roam. The only thing is she comes in and heads for the litter box. Is there a way i can wean her off the box so she can go outside?

thanks
cynthia
calico30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'd rethink leting her go outside. It's very dangerous. There are dogs, cars, wild animals.. And just because you're in the country is no excuse. I grew up with the country and lost a lot of cats due to CARS. Even one lost its leg, and another its tail! It's not safe out there!
Old 06-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You might want to consider keeping the litter box. It sounds like you live far away from other people, but if you don't you're neighbors won't appreciate cat stuff in their sandboxes.

Also, vets often request samples be brought in, if you have no box, where will you find the..ahh...stuff.

Also, One of the indicators of illness or disease is the regularity of using the box, again, how would you know what your cat was doing.
Kittys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Cynthia, I completely agree with Emily. You'll extend your cat's life by many years by keeping her indoors. Please reconsider.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

What I know about cats is that if I didn't let them outside then they would be very unhappy, very. I have a cat door here and they are always running in and out. I think that cats are pretty smart to stay out of the road, mine don't go there they are scared of the cars I guess it just depends on the cat. But how would you like to be trapped in your house 24/7, not me I think they need a little freedom, even if you have to go out there with them they need fresh air. Iguess if you raised the kitten and the kitten has never gone outside then what does it know about it, so he/she would probably be fine indoors all the time, but if he knows there is an outside, and you try to keep him in he is going to be unhappy. just my thoughts.........
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If you put into balance the dangers that are outside with a life indoors - I am definately opting for the indoors.
When I first got Frosty I was seriously thinking of buying him a harness and teaching him to go outside for walks - And I would have loved to take him any time he wanted to. He offers me so much so that time wouldn't be a problem. But then I would be so tense for fear he would always try to escape outdoors. And he could if he really wanted to even though he is neutered. Once they go outdoors they will have the taste for it.

What are the dangers that I fear so?
1. Cars - they may be smart enough not to go in the road - but it is enough for them to see something that looks like prey on the other side of the road and the obvious tragic can occur
2. Dogs - a lot of people "feel safe" about letting their cats out since everybody in the neighbourhood keeps their dogs indoors or in the pins - but what if one manages to get out ? Or there are is a wondering stray dog in the area? I have seen cats escaping dogs chasing them but I have also witnessed sad cases. Dogs just like cats hunt for everything that moves - it is not that they hate cats
3. Wildlife - large birds, raccoons or other could put cats' life in danger
4. Other cats (think territory) and even people (they could steal them or just harm them)

Don't forget that outdoor cats will need etra vaccines. One very importnat thing is not to leave small kittens outdoors - they are very likely not to survive.

So what to do in order to make our indoor cats life happier? Well besides our love, socializing during playtime together we can add window seats, screened porches (where possible), kitty videos (some people go for Animal Planet programs), fish tanks, cat trees , etc

I had to elaborate one more time (I have probably done it in the past) because I have seen kittens killed outdoors, adult cats injured and had to be put to sleep - The outdoor experience brought too much sadness (not with any of my cats - but either way it hurts just as much)
Old 06-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Please consider this article by

Ed Kostro, Indoors vs. (sic) Outdoor Cats
30 April, 2003

Having worked in animal shelters and having live-trapped feral felines, I’ve seen first hand the horrific tragedies that can befall an outdoor cat. I’ve seen brutalized cats missing eyes or limbs; I’ve seen burned cats, victims of someone’s childish prank or viciousness; and I’ve seen cats riddled with disease, fleas, and mange.

In my opinion, the outdoor dangers far outweigh the advantages of letting cats roam free.

Vehicular Traffic: It is a myth that cats are ‘street savvy.’ I’ve personally seen many dead cats needlessly run down on our streets and highways.

Other Animals: A cat is usually no match for a dog or a raccoon in a brawl. Coyotes are increasingly turning to felines as a new food source since their normal food sources are rapidly declining.

Cruel Humans: Cat hating humans do all sorts of vile things to torture felines; including setting rat poison out for them, shooting them, and setting them on fire with gasoline.

Outdoor Hazards: Chemically treated lawns present health risks to felines that spend a lot of time on them, and antifreeze, which drips from many vehicles, is often relished by parched street animals. Antifreeze is extremely poisonous to all animals.

Disease: Outdoor cats can catch rabies, feline leukemia, or feline immunodeficiency virus from other outdoor animals.

Parasites: Outdoor cats will inevitably become infested with fleas, ticks, and other nasty little parasites. These parasites can eventually kill them or at least induce unnecessary suffering and infections; and these parasites can also infest your home when your outdoor cat briefly comes indoors.

The latest feline addition to my household was a tiny feral that I live-trapped. She was riddled with fleas, and had severe eye and respiratory infections. Tuffy is now healthy, happy, and living indoors.

Hunting Small Critters: Your well-fed outdoor pet cat will still hunt even though it does not need the food; it’s just following its natural instinct. I would rather let my cats ‘hunt’ indoor toys than chipmunks, salamanders, squirrels, and lovely little song birds.

Lifespan: Statistics reveal that homeless cats, or cats kept outdoors, have an average life span of 2 to 5 years, while cats that are kept indoors can live to be well over 17 years old.

As a responsible cat owner, you must make the right choice for your furry feline friends, as I think I did for mine.

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewart ... 0&id=13877

I sincerely hope you'll consider these facts. I cannot describe to you how I felt when my precious Pixie was just one step too slow for the car, and my neighbor called with an offer to bury her.

Now and then God entrusts us with a life that becomes so special that words become inadequate. I had a bond with Pixie that I cannot explain. I had only a minute to say "goodbye," because my neighbor was standing outside in the rain with his shovel. What a terrible way to learn a lesson. My heart still breaks when I think of that night. I had time only to thank God for letting me care for one of His precious creatures. I loved her so much.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Okay - yes cats indoors lead much safer lives. Of course there are many things outside that could lead to kitty injury or death, HOWEVER some cats are just outside cats. Although they probably don't live as long, they are just as happy out of doors as their indoor counterparts. I am from a very rural area, and have lived on a farm for years. We have always had barn cats who loved their outdoor "wild" life, and enjoyed the free milk and numerous mice as treats along with their food. I agree that in larger cities and even just towns in general, cats are much better off being kept in houses. But sometimes, rural kitties are just as good outside.

Inside, cats never get the chance to hunt for REAL prey, lay in the grass in the sunshine, catch bugs, and all of the fun stuff kitties like to do. If a cat has never known this pleasure, then they are completely happy indoors.

I had a lynx point half himilayan cat that was a strictly indoor cat. One day my dad accidentally left the door open and he wandered outside. We caught him and brought him in, but that one taste of freedom led him to want more of it. Every day he sat by the door and meowed horribly wanting to go outside and play. Finally we started to let him out. We have a 5 acre yard, so he would play to his hearts content a safe distance from the road. When he got tired he would meow to be let in. Some cats just enjoy the freedom.

I know that some people have strong opinions on this and many other issues, but it does no good to preach at others and try to admonish them for their cat habits. I think that every cat is different, and every person has their own way of taking care of their babies. I too have seen my share of dead kitties on the road, or killed by wild animals, but I believe that if you let your cat out, you are assuming that risk. It is personal preference and there is no need to criticize.

Plus, coming from experience, when someone is having a problem with their animal and come to this forum for advice, they are coming for help, not for a debate. So why can't we just answer their questions, and keep our concerns to ourselves.

Cynthia - I don't know of any tried and true method of weaning her off the litterbox, especially if she is an indoor/outdoor cat. She probably finds comfort in the litterbox being there. If you remove her litterbox, she might find that she only wants to come in to be fed, or if she is too hot or too cold. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Parker, I agree!

I personally would never let my cats outside...but that's me and my cats and my neighborhood...etc.

I cringe a little everytime someone mentions something that differs from the common belief of most members of the forum...because I know that they will be lectured and in the end not even have their question answered.
Kittys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

your cat is probably trained to use the litter box and thinks she's doing the right thing. i'd try to keep the box outside for a while so she gets used to going outside. eventually start putting dirt and grass in the box instead of litter. i've never tried it, but that sounds about right to me. or, perhaps, get a bag of sand and make her an outdoor litter box?

@ parker and kitty's mom

the people here care about the well being of all cats, not just our own, and its a proven fact that outdoor cats don't live as long as indoor cats because there are lots of uncontrollable dangers out there. so many people here have had to learn the hard way, they're just trying to save others from the same heart break.

"yeah its strange, but what's so strange about that?" - built to spill
marijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement