Can neutored cats still get sexually excited? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Can neutored cats still get sexually excited?

We have a spayed female cat and a neutored male. The male is always attacking the female cat. I can't figure out why but it's like he trys to tackle her. My wife says he's playing. But the female cats lets out these horrible shrieks. It drives me nuts. Can anyone shed some insight?

Moderator's Edit: Title altered in deference to family friendlyiness - Empath
hav0k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

sometimes males will mount females but they wont get anywhere.
i have 4 girls and 1 boy, one girl and they boy fight something terrible and its the girl who is screaming yet she goes back for more!

in many animals mounting the other for reasons other than mating is a sign of dominance.

Me on Last.fm
Zalensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Anyway to control this? It happens alot when male kitty is hungry or bored I guess.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Twinkie mounts sheepskin rugs and bears, not Sugar. He's to chicken for that but I'm not sure how to stop that kind of behavior though. At least with me, I can take away those things.

Kim
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I just can't help it. But mounting to me seems sexual.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Yeah...that's weird. My cat is a neutered male. We got him neutered because he constantly mounted things (stuffed animals, towels, arms) and because he released that horrible smelling spray.
He doesn't spray anymore but he still mounts things...maybe its something more instinctive.
krazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My neutered male mounts my pregnant female. He was biting her neck and everything. There for a minute I questioned whether the shelter had made a mistake when they said he was neutered! That's how convincing their act was. Everyone assured me that this was just part of dominating behavior and part of a cat's instinctive behavior.
As far as stopping it...When we feel like Surfboard is being too rough all we have to do is raise our voice and say his name. He immediately lays down and starts grooming her. He's a sissy though and lives to please us (he thinks he's a dog!). We also use a water bottle to correct behavior. That works so well all we have to do is walk towards where it sits on the counter. They run for cover!!
In the end though, cats will be cats. If your female goes back for more then it seems like the feeling is mutual. Even though you don’t like, she might!
adavis333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Mounting is typically a dominance behavior. However, even neutered animals can still produce a small amount of hormones and this can produce some sexual behavior, particularly if the animal was neutered later in life. A pregnant cat is a real hormone factory and it would not be surprising if neutered cats responded to that, since the response is hard-wired in the brain.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
drjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement