Tracking Cat litter everywhere! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Tracking Cat litter everywhere!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew why my recently adopted older cat Angel is tracking litter all over the house. Is this because she has no claws? My other cat is not declawed and is very neat and tidy when using her litter box.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Try to put down some sort of mat that will help to catch that litter when she gets out of the box. They usually have them at pet stores.

Although some cats are just not as clean as others. You could always use something other than kitty litter. For instance line the box with a puppy training pad and then shread some newspaper or something of the sort and stick that in the box and they will use that to cover. Some cats will go for this and some will not. Might not hurt to try.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I seen a mat to put by the litter box in Zellers the other day, but it quite expensive for what it was. Do you think any kind of mat will do?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I bought one of the plastic mats that almost looks like fake grass except taller... if that makes any sense at all. Like the parts that stick up are about half an inch high. My cat hates it. He'll carefully climb around it to get in the box and jumps out.

Worst of all, the box is in my bedroom so I constantly have litter all in the carpet and even in my bed!

I recently tried to put a thick bathroom mat (just thick carpet) in front of the box that is relatively long (about 3-4 feet) so it catches a great deal of litter. I find that it helped a lot in keeping the area clean.

There are all sorts of mats/pads/contraptions designed to keep tracking to a minimum. I've seen trays with a wire mesh over them so the cat walks on top, their pads of their feet spread and all the litter falls into the tray... all of which seem great in theory, but if your cat refuses to walk on them they won't do you any good. They may even deter your cat from using the box if it become a problem to get in and out comfortably.

I'd suggest getting a nice thick rug to put in front of the box. Its worth a shot and you can probably find one relatively cheap somewhere. And if it doesn't work you can always use a new bath mat

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
OsnobunnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Cat tracking litter

Thanks, I took your advice. I had some carpet from work that I was going to use to make a scratch post, instead I used it to put the 2 litter boxes on. It isn't plush but it seems to be doing the trick!

Samantha
Old 12-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I bought 4 of those anti-tracking mats from the pet store at $10 a pop, and they were worthless. best I've found is astro turf. the kitties don't like walking on it, but as long as they will still get to their litter box, it works great. I had a problem, though: Mellie likes to chew on astro turf. the little blades of plastic grass don't make good kittie food, so I had to dump those and go to second best: a welcome mat. something with ridges and a kind of brushy surface to spread the cats' toes and grab the clay particles as they walk over it.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I was going to purchase those plastic mats at petsmart. I don't think I will now incase they won't walk on them. The carpet I have under their litter box is berber, really short, it works okay but I still have to clean up the area around the litter boxes. At least there isn't any in my bedroom anymore!

Any other homemade ideas?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I have the same problem with Vequi. I have to vacuum my bedroom sometimes twice a day. I like walking barefoot inside my apartment and stepping on cat litter pisses me off.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Cat litter

I really love crawling into my bed and feeling cat litter scratch my skin! Our cat Angel sleeps under the covers, not on top.