Whats the best way for your cat to deal with losing his mate - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Whats the best way for your cat to deal with losing his mate

Kiwi is just over 1 year and he is missing his mate Nurney who is being operated on today. How do I help Kiwi if the worse happens - Nurney is an extremely poor cat - he may have a tumor, it's such a sad time for us all. Somebody suggested that to stop him pining for his mate and to accept his loss would be to bring him home and let him see he has gone. We want him home safe and well. I can't stop crying. This all happened very suddenly.
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh, I am so sorry I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain

If you do end up losing Nurney, I would recommend you bring him home for buriel. Give Kiwi some time with him; he may sniff him, snuggle with him, try to play with him. As heartbreaking as it is, he will understand that Nurney is no longer there. It will also give you some time to say good-bye to him.

Again, I am so sorry you're having to go through this. Best wishes to you and Kiwi.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Nurney died

I'm soooooooooooo sad my Nurney didn't make it through the surgery - he died once on the operating table and was in recovery - he passed away just after 5pm. I'm struggling to keep it together. We will collect him this evening and he will spend one last night at home before we bury him in my sister's garden as I live in a flat. One minute he was here looking gorgeous and the next thing he has gone. It's hard to know where to begin. I just can't believe this has happened. Kiwi will get to say goodbye too. Thanks for your kind words I really appreciate them.

Mich
Nurney's mum always and my Kiwi
Old 11-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh no I know there are really no words to say that would comfort you right now, so I'll send a cyber-hug (((((Mich)))))

If you've never seen it before, or even if you have, The Rainbow Bridge is a lovely poem that may be of some comfort to you. Also, there is a beautiful and touching story called Choices.

My thought are with you.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I am very sorry to hear that you lost your Nurney. I am thinking of you and of Kiwi.

I am so glad that you will both be able to give Nurney a proper goodbye.
LoveMyKitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Nurney

Thanks so much for your replies. It's really comforting to know that people I don't even know care about my baby Nurney. The Rainbow Bridge made me cry but the words are true. The picture shows Nurney, the big beautiful ginger Tom, who died today at only 8 years of age and Kiwi, a quarter Siamese aged only 21 months. The pair came together when I thought Nurney could use some company, both indoor only cats. The last 19 months of Nurneys life gave him joy and happiness - at first he didn't like Kiwi but then accepted him open pawed. His life was taken suddenly today and I still don't understand WHY. I have taken many, many pictures of them both and am thankful for my memories. I have video footage too. It's very hard to come to terms with his loss tonight. He lays here and I am sure his eyes try to tell me something. Kiwi doesn't understand and has hissed at his body as it lays here - but it's only becos he too can't understand WHY THIS HAPPENED. When he first saw him he immediately ran after sniffing - I hope he understands that Nurney has gone not becos he wanted to but becos he had to. I thank you for reading and saying stuff to us, it really does help to know that we all feel something quite deep about our pets and that when they do go it hurts. In memory of my NURNEY xxxx
Old 11-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

It's really hard as Kiwi just hisses everytime I try to bring them close. He cried too - but I'm not sure he really knows. I feel so sad for Nurney, it really, really hurts. From now on my Kiwi will have to accept like us that he will not be returning. I will be posting pictures on the gallery and making a website dedicated to my first and one big love in my life, Nurney cat.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Again, I am so, so, so sorry for your loss. I'm a bit emotional myself tonight. On the rabbit forum I'm involved in, several people I've gotten to know quite well have suddenly and tragically lost their beloved companions. I just don't know what to say, and I wish some of my words could comfort you. I'm praying that the pain will soon pass, though I know the grief will never go away. Too many beloved companions have gone over the Bridge this week

So here's a cyber ((((((hug))))))) and my deepest sorrow as I mourn with you.

I know I'll be snuggling my babies extra tonight
Old 12-01-2004, 01:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I too am very sorry for your loss. It takes a real pet lover to understand how this feels, and that is why you will find so many supportive people here - we can all sympathize. It's tough to deal with, and my thoughts are with you. Just know you will be together again some day, and cherish the years you have had together.

When you are feeling up to it, I recommend visiting the Rainbow Bridge section of the forum, here:
http://www.catforum.com/viewforum.php?f=16
This would be a wonderful place to take some of your photos and memories of Nurney and turn them into a tribute. It's a way to share your baby with others and pay your final respects.

***HUGS*** My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
jessamica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

So sorry for your loss
violina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement