help! cat pooping in tub! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default help! cat pooping in tub!

i know there are lots of threads on this, but i've tried some techniques and nothing is working... please let me know what you suggest.

peanut, my boyfriend's 1 year old female tabby, was pooping in the bathtub. we were keeping the litterbox in the basement. she was using the box most of the times, but every so often, a big ole poop in the tub. i suggested less litter in the box thinking she liked the smooth texture of the porcelain. i also suggested removing solids everyday in case it wasn't clean enough for her. still pooping in tub... i suggested putting litter box IN THE TUB. still pooping in tub. she would pee in the box and poop in the drain of the tub... so weird. aside from changing her litter (i have read this is a good technique, so we'll try it) anyone have any pointers?

i do have a theory... she eats EVERYTHING from toys to plastic bags. could it be the things she eats upsets her tummy or hurts when it's coming out and that's why she poops outside her box? or is she just acting out because he is gone alot?

thanks for listening!
marwood71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Have you tried having more than one litterbox? Some cats are finicky about that and prefer to have one box for peeing and one for pooing! Also, you can leave the one downstairs and have the second closer to the bathroom, in the event of emergencies.

Also, have you tried keeping her out of the tub? She can't poo in it if she can't get into it. *shrug*

I know you must be frustrated, but maybe someone else on here can give you some great pointers.

emrldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Did you try two litterboxes upstairs and another two downstairs?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

The first thing I'd try is another litterbox. She's not that old, so this behavior may just be a growing up thing (as opposed to an adult cat that was fine for years and is suddenly doing this weird thing...then I'd say, go to the vet).

Some cats just prefer two boxes, one for each bodily function. They don't like to poop where they pee. You can put both boxes in the basement and see if that helps.

If it doesn't leave the old one downstairs and put the new one in the bathtub. If it still doesn't work, I'd check her out at the vet.

Since she uses the one you have (although sporatically), I'd assume that she likes the shape/style of the litterbox and the brand of litter that you are using. So, I wouldn't think you'd need to start experimenting with those things.
Kittys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

i WILL try two boxes. the plan of attack is to get an unscented, unclumping litter and add another box; one to poop in, one to pee in. i think i'll start with them both in the basement, and if that doesn't work, i'll move one upstairs. thanks!

oh, and there is just a shower curtain so we keep the bathroom door closed, but that is a pain with only one bathroom! i'd rather figure out what's going on in that little brain!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

So...maybe a second litterbox is needed?

I love when we get simultaneous posts

But hey, at least all the advice was the same!
Kittys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

yes, i am on my way out right now to pick up an additional box. that way, when i move in with my two kitties, we'll have four total between three cats.

you guys can expect lots of frustrated posts from me when that happens!!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I cant leave my bathroom door open because garunteed there will be a nice little pressie in there. Can you keep the door shut? If so how does she react to that?

Me on Last.fm
Zalensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

we could and do keep the door shut, but that's not something i want to make permenant... i'd rather figure out the behavoir.

she doesn't react to the door being shut. the little devil goes where she should!!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

When teaching Stanky to use the toilet we had a couple of accidents in the tub. I ended up taping the shower curtain. That is our guest RR so we don't use the shower in there at all so it wasn't a real problem. Sometimes u do have to work around the cat. So I think closing the door will help.

If that doesn't work and she goes in other places then maybe closely watch him/her. After going in the tub do you do sit her in the litter box.?
Are u switching to a unscented litter or have u always used that kind?
Also, does she only go poo somewhere else if she went pee in the litter box? Maybe she doesn't think it's clean enough.
Advertisement