One messy cat and a litter box...any ideas? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default One messy cat and a litter box...any ideas?

I have two cats.

One is mine, but the other is my brother and sister's.

Anyways my question is there a way to maybe train or prevent their cat from going and making a mess in the litter box? Anything I can buy?

She manages to spill outside of the litter box every-now-and-then and it's becoming a bit annoying. I know its her and not my cat, because I've caught her off guard. Sometimes it seems as if she is doing it on purpose. I never had any issues really with my cat in terms of the litter box.

I thought of using maybe a card board box to maybe prevent her from spilling the litter on the ground and over the rug under the box, but it seems a little out of place, and I know something better can be done about it.

I appreciate any comments.
Timetogetill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

There's no way you should try to change a cat's litterbox behavior as long as it's using the litterbox, that is the goal. Therefore, the only way to deal with this is to come up with a solution that will avoid the problem.

Your idea of a cardboard box sounds like a good thing to try first. If that doesn't work, come up with something else.

Do you have enough litterboxes for two cats?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I'm a little confused by your post, but I think you are saying that the litter is getting all over the place.

If I'm correct, you might want to invest in a litter box mat to help clean the cats' paws as the are stepping out of the box.
Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about: http://www.sisalrugs.com/cat-litter-box-mat.html
They also sell some at Wal-Mart that have little plastic nubs to do the same thing, but the ones on the link above are probably more affective.

Also, consider purchasing a dust buster to keep near the room where the litter boxes are located. THis way, you can clean up really quick when you need to and it won't be such a hastle to do it a couple of times a day if needed.

You might also try a covered litter box:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001
Again, they have less-expensive ones at Wal-Mart if you want.
Keep in mind that the enclosed space makes odors more potent inside, so be sure to clean the litter often so as not to offend kitty's nose and prompt him/her to go OUTSIDE of the box.

If you are saying (again, I'm not quite sure) that the kitty is MISSING the box when she does her business, the covered pan will also help. Just make sure it's big enough (in both cases) to accomodate her size!

Good luck to you! Let us know how things turn out!

lolakitty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
There's no way you should try to change a cat's litterbox behavior as long as it's using the litterbox, that is the goal. Therefore, the only way to deal with this is to come up with a solution that will avoid the problem.

Your idea of a cardboard box sounds like a good thing to try first. If that doesn't work, come up with something else.

Do you have enough litterboxes for two cats?
Hi Tim,

By all means I wouldn't want to change the cat's litterbox behavior especially if it were to affect the cat in a negative way

As for the litterbox we are only using one litterbox for both cats.

When my litttle brother and sister first got the other cat I had thought it would be great to get two litterboxes as well as seperate bowls to feed both cats, but unfortunately we didn't bother with a second litterbox and using seperate bowls for food and water did not come out as I hoped for.

Both cats seem to eat off each other's food, so I would assume the same would happen if I tried to buy another litterbox.

I will probably try the cardboard idea as an option.

Thanks for the help.

--J--
Old 03-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolakitty23
I'm a little confused by your post, but I think you are saying that the litter is getting all over the place.

If I'm correct, you might want to invest in a litter box mat to help clean the cats' paws as the are stepping out of the box.
Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about: http://www.sisalrugs.com/cat-litter-box-mat.html
They also sell some at Wal-Mart that have little plastic nubs to do the same thing, but the ones on the link above are probably more affective.

Also, consider purchasing a dust buster to keep near the room where the litter boxes are located. THis way, you can clean up really quick when you need to and it won't be such a hastle to do it a couple of times a day if needed.

You might also try a covered litter box:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001
Again, they have less-expensive ones at Wal-Mart if you want.
Keep in mind that the enclosed space makes odors more potent inside, so be sure to clean the litter often so as not to offend kitty's nose and prompt him/her to go OUTSIDE of the box.

If you are saying (again, I'm not quite sure) that the kitty is MISSING the box when she does her business, the covered pan will also help. Just make sure it's big enough (in both cases) to accomodate her size!

Good luck to you! Let us know how things turn out!

Sorry if I confused you or may have not been clear before.

We do have a mat under the litterbox just as you mentioned

Just to make it clear whenever Daisy needs to use the litterbox she tends to use excessive force when trying to cover her "mess" in the litterbox and manages to get the litter all over the mat and the floor next to the litterbox.

She is still young and that may be the reason why, though Bruce, my other cat, was never a problem.

So far all we have done is try to use a broom and dust buster, but unfortunately this task is a bit tedious, especially if it has to be done every day or every other day.

What's worse is that as soon as I, or someone else, cleans the litterbox, Daisy will come back almost as if on purpose

I will do some more research and perhaps go to Wal-mart and check out the covered litterbox.

Thanks for all the help though. I really do appreciate it.

--J--
Old 03-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

You might also try a high-sided litterbox. My litterboxes have three sides over 10 inches high. Rubbermaid Litter Box
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
You might also try a high-sided litterbox. My litterboxes have three sides over 10 inches high. Rubbermaid Litter Box
That one in the link looks good except the front or where the entrance is located.

I really don't want to have to replace the litter box, but I guess I'll have to keep the option open, if all else fails.

Thanks

--J--
Old 03-26-2005, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I love the high sided boxes!
They work FANTASTIC!

Edit to add: How about one of these?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1111886353573
BoscosMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
I love the high sided boxes!
They work FANTASTIC!

Edit to add: How about one of these?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1111886353573
Yeah that looks real nice. Pricey, but none the less nice. Something I will definetly consider

Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

One of my cats is a really messy 'shoveller' too - he has a hooded litter tray with a swinging door.

I would also second getting another tray
emma_pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement