Needy, freaky siamese... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Needy, freaky siamese...

Hello everyone--

As you can see this is my first post here. I've been lurking here for a few months though--ever since I took in a stray Siamese cat (my avatar is a picture of him). I've finally decided to post because this cat keeps "weirding me out" and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/clues about his behavior.

I've owned cats my entire life and am fairly familiar with their eccentricities and general nuttiness. However, I have never had a cat who was as loving as this one. In fact, he's so loving that I am forced to describe him as needy and demanding. I know that Siamese are a generally vocal breed (this guy is my second Siamese) but this one takes the cake with meowing/screaming until he is held. He wants to sit on my lap constantly and sleeps next to me, on me, or under my covers every night. This in itself doesn't bother me, but he actually gets freaky if I need to ignore him.

This has happened several times now and it's starting to concern me: Cat wants attention. Cat is not given attention (due to my actually wanting to do something at the time like type out an email or read a book). Cat sulks a few feet away and begins to stare me down. During this time he gets a really creepy and intense look in his eyes, his ears go into an aggressor position and he begins to stalk me! He creeps up on me, whether I am paying attention to his actions or not, and suddenly lunges and bites me--hard. If I am not watching him then, out of the blue, I have a cat biting down on whatever part of me is closest--often my elbow. If I am watching him and I see his tantrum coming there doesn't seem to be much I can do to dissuade him. I've tried saying "No!" firmly, shooing him, standing/raising up to appear more intimidating, but still he will keep coming at me. And, he'll try to attack the most bizarre parts of my body (like he'll stand up to my computer chair from the floor and bite my shoulder). If I say just keep saying "No!" he'll just kinda growl back and get down in a "I'm about to attack you" lunge position. If I try to pick him up and calm him he wants nothing to do with me and jumps down, still acting weird. The only thing that seems to work is to become more aggressive than him and yell and really throw my arms around or bang on things until he runs off--and I really don't solving it like that.

The cat is a total sweetheart otherwise (friendly to strangers, plays nicely, doesn't hiss, gets along with dog, etc.). Does anyone have any ideas? Should I be concerned with this? I feel like this is a behavior that I'd like to end before it gets out of hand someday. I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to give some background info. regarding him. I've never seen anything like this and even though it only happens once or twice a month, it really disturbs me when it does.

Thanks
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Hi! I have 2 siamese mix kitties. They are my babies literally. I work from home all day long and believe me it's a mutual obsession. What you described sounds completely normal to me. Siamese are very intellegent and that is the problem. One of my cats is much brighter than the other and I am convinced he is actaully spitefull as you described your cat to be. If I don't do what he wants he will ignore me, actually get up and move away from me if I go near him, turn his back to me, pretent he can't hear me. He was actually in a mood yesterday for whatever reason. Usually it is due to not enough attention or not getting fed when he tells me he is to be fed. Don't worry. If he wanted to really hurt you he would but I would not encourage the biting. When he does that say "no" firmly and do not give in to him. Like I said siamese cats are super smart. They know exactly what they are doing. Do not try to calm or cuddle him when he is acting naughty and don't be afraid to use the gold old water bottle. That usually does the trick in my house by just one use. They know what they are doing is considered "bad". Being demanding is to be expecting but the biting/attacking to get what he wants behaviour should not continue if you can help it.

=^..^= Micah, Levi & Jake =^..^=

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
siamesecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Needy, freaky siamese...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciole
I've tried saying "No!" firmly, shooing him, standing/raising up to appear more intimidating, but still he will keep coming at me. .... If I try to pick him up and calm him he wants nothing to do with me and jumps down, still acting weird.
All these things stimulate the aggressor.

Quote:
The only thing that seems to work is to become more aggressive than him and yell and really throw my arms around or bang on things until he runs off--and I really don't solving it like that.
That might make him fearful.

I would hiss at him when he starts....before he does anything,....when he's giving the signals. This is cat-talk and something he understands. Make sure you hiss in the back of the mouth, like a cat, not with your tongue, and good and loud. Continue until he stops. He might be miffed for a while, but should get over it.

coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks a lot to both of you! Hearing your ideas and personal experiences is a great help

I have a water bottle in the kitchen that I use to spritz him if he tries to run outside (which he becomes determined to do sometimes when I'm letting the dog in or out the back door) but I never have one on hand anywhere else in the house. I'll try that and the hissing idea the next coupla' times that he throws a fit. I hope one or the other nips it in the bud.

Thanks so much! I'll post an update when I have more new info.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

IMO Siamese are "different". I'm fostering a few & they are more dog-like in many ways...& they BITE!!!

Now I didn't know this, but it's common behavior. I'm reputed to take anything. I was asked to foster a Flame Point..he was rescued by a siamese rescue & then returned to animal control for euthanasia for being viscious because he bit his foster mom.

I've had him for a couple of months now...he's bonded very close & growls when people come to the door or other cats try to join him on my lap..I've had to banish him from my room at night...It's impossible to sleep because he turns the bed into a battleground! He has bitten me twice, ( albeit very gently...but he makes no pretense of hiding his inclination to bite...visitors & my children are well apprised of his traits)

Recently 2 Siamese X brother's joined my colony...they share the same close bonding & territorial behaviours...I'm also caring for a lynx point & a few Himalyans...that also bite.

Only recently have I learned that this is an anticipated characteristic of the breed. They deal with stress differently, I've come to accept. They are also very intelligent & remarkably agile & playful... loyal & devoted ...of course it's a given that they're magnificent to look at too. I guess every rose has it's thorn!
Birdbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for sharing your experiences Birdbrain! I'm really surprised to hear that you've found biting to be common among Siamese. I guess I hadn't expected that because I owned a Siamese (who was actually my favorite pet ever) when I was a teenager and he was the sweetest, gentlest, most docile cat that I've ever had.

Oddly enough, however, in talking about this I just recalled that that cat came into our lives because his owner didn't want him anymore because "the cat is mean and bites". Well, in over 10 he never bit any of us *shrug* so who knows what was going on there.

To be honest, I really don't mind this new cat's behavior at face value. While he bites hard when he goes into freaky mode, it's still not hard enough to actually injure me (beyond a scratch). I think I've just been concerned that it is the beginning of behavior that could escalate into something more aggressive.

It was good to hear your situation
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Hi Again! Speaking of freaky behavior, my younger siamese goes bonkers at least once a day - we think he is a little "crazy" Went nuts again last night. He was sitting on my husband's lap as we were watching T.V. Then without any apparent reason he literally jumped out of his skin straight up in the air giving my husband a couple deep cuts on the leg. This the second time this has happened. But last time he started screeming and acting like he was going to bite but didn't. All I can think is that he wakes up suddenly and doesn't remember where he is. My older cat doesn't like to sleep near him and now I think I know why - he knows better than get attacked. My older cat nibbles when he get overstimulated from playing or brushing but never enough to break skin. Just nibbles and that is once in a blue moon.

=^..^= Micah, Levi & Jake =^..^=

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
siamesecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Welcome!!

You're not alone, and your cat is not unusual. The threads below should make you feel better, and some other suggestions. I described my Ginza in them, and so have others about their kitties. It is typical of Siamese, and some Siamese crosses (like Ginza).

Obsessive Affectionate cat.
Most annoying cat ever.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Any updates? Has he had another episode yet, and were you able to try out a suggestion or two? I'm not a fan of spray bottles, but I highly recommend hissing or screaming when he nips you. Don't forget to not pull away.

And most important, what's his name?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

I'm so sorry for being late in checking back in! I am starting a technical school and new job and things have just been nuts.

His name is Parker (from a long play of word association; I found him hanging around on a PARKing lot near where I work...). I apologise for not posting his name sooner but to I usually refer to him with affectionally devilish names like "pobrecito (spanish for "poor little boy)" or "little boy"... I rarely actually call him "Parker" but that's what he's registered as with the vet etc.

As for updates, I've had two episodes with him since I last posted. The first was probably the worst but also funniest--and unfortunately requires some background information: We are having some problems with our neighbors across the street here where I live. I live in the city on a narrow "half street" and our neighbors directly across from us often play their music so loudly that we can not even hear our own TV in the upstairs bedroom. It's been unbearable on many occasions and has been going on regularly since they moved in over a year ago. My boyfriend and I--as well as several other neighbors--have asked them to turn it down in the past with no results. We finally had enough of it the other week, snapped, and called the police to report a noise violation.

Well, I'll admit it: I'm nosey. This means I'm standing in the living room just barely peeking out of the window to see if/when the cops come by and finally make them turn the music down. I have the lights turned off because I don't want the loud neighbors to see me peeking out and know for sure that we're the house that finally called the cops on them. Well, there I am standing in almost total darkness and apparently Parker was upset that I was not paying attention to him. The only problem was that because it was dark I could not see him stalking me and did not have any of the usual warning. One moment it's quiet, dark, and peaceful while I'm standing there with one hand behind my back and the next thing I know he jumps up and bites it! It scared the crap out of me! I was trying to be all quiet so I shoo'ed him away and go back to watching out the window. And then a few minutes later he jumps up and gets me again! I guess he was trying to tell me not to be such a busybody !

Then I had another episode when I moved him off of my lap the other day. He started doing the freaky stalking thing and my boyfriend finally got to witness it. He's sitting there saying "That's not nice, you leave mommy alone" to the cat (as if the cat was suddenly going to listen to this voice of reason). I finally picked him up and carried him into the next room and set him down on the bed. Moving him like that seemed to make him forget what he was up to.

I haven't gotten another squirt bottle yet so I'm going to try moving him into another room for now and see how that works. I'm really glad to have read all these other experiences here though (and thank you, superkitties, a lot for those two links!) because it makes me feel like he's at least not verifiably crazy... just moody like many other cats

Wow.... sorry that was so long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement