my cat licks photos? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default my cat licks photos?

Often times I wake up and my cat is licking my photographs. He licks the pictures on my bulletin board... pictures on my basket on the floor. He does this alot... and i've never heard of a cat doing this... my other cat doesn't. Can anyone tell me why he might lick pictures? is it chemicals or what? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Well, if he's getting any chemicals off the photographs, they aren't any good for him. Sometimes when cats lick odd things it's because they have a nutritional deficiency. Sometimes it's a behavioral disorder. If he continues in this behavior, a vet visit might be a good idea, or at least a phone call to see if your vet thinks you should bring him in. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to put those photographs somewhere he can't get at them.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

haha, ya... maybe we'll call the vet... getting them away from him is difficult. Seeing as even though he has trouble, because he's over weight... he'll climb up on just about anything to get to what he wants. My family is catholic and we have dried palms around that he LOVES. HE climbs up on things, then grabs them, jumps down and runs away... it's really cute... but he's brave... so he can get to any pictures i have around.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My cat has a thing for photos too. Not so much now as he did when he was a younger cat. He would rub on them and bite then and sratch them. Something about those photo would make him act like it was raining catnip. He'd do the same thing with sealed packages of toilet paper. We'd come home and a four pack of TP would be slashed and mauled and all wet, but still pretty much still sealed together in it's package...LOL
Man, that would have been so funny to watch. But he only really liked to do it when we were gone
Old 10-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'd say it had something to do with chemicals used in the developing of the photos.
They wouldn't be able to understand a 2D image, same as they can't recognize their own reflection so they certainly don't see the pictures and make any sense of them like we do.

I do agree that chemicals used in developing photos can't really do a cat any favours mind. It is a wise move you getting your snapshots out of his reach.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Both my current cats love to lick photos! It has gotten so bad that I cannot keep photos out where they can get to them. They must love the taste of the coating on the paper.

There are some nasty chemicals on traditionally developed photos that can't be good for them. I have to be very careful and put away photos where they cannot get at them. And it ruins the photo.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I suppose any photos you like to have out, be sure to put them in a nice little frame with a glass or clear plastic front to protect them and stop your cat licking them. Others, keep in a cupboard out of the way.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Lupess
They wouldn't be able to understand a 2D image, same as they can't recognize their own reflection so they certainly don't see the pictures and make any sense of them like we do.
Oh?

Mind you....they ONLY watch videos of cats.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

HAHA!! Funny picture, Tim!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

They can only see the movement, they still don't understand that is is a 2d image, thats why they often look round the side of the tv box to see where something might have gone. If the screen was still, they wouldn't notice anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread