Cats' body clock - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
stu
Cat

Default Cats' body clock

Do cats have a night/day body clock?

One of our cats, Gemma, always follows us at bedtime, and hangs around for a few minutes, then says cheerio until morning.
And 5 mins before the alarm goes off in the morning, she generally jumps up on to the bed and says hello.

But if I go upstairs at, say, 6 in the evening when I get back from work, she will follow me into the bedroom, as if she thinks it's bedtime.

I know that cats are creatures of habit, but do they know when it's middle of night/ middle of day etc etc? Do they have any concept of time?
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Well, the "concept of time" and "body clock" are two very different things. As far as the concept of time, cats live very much in the present and I don't think they have much sense of past and future. However, as creatures of habit, they become accustomed to things that are repeated at the same time every day and they know when "it's time" for that thing to happen. For example: feeding time!! As far as day/night, they probably rely on the same visual cues we do.

Cats do have a "body clock" if by that you mean circadian rhythm, as do all higher life forms, so their activity level varies throughout the day. In nature, cats do most of their hunting at dawn and at dusk, so that is when they are "programmed" to be active.

I hope that answers your question.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
stu
Cat

Thank you.

Just wondered why Gemma can think we're off to bed at 6pm, when it's normally nearer 11pm!
It's like me walking into the bedroom is her cue to jump on to the bed and be friendly...
Old 12-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Cats' circadian rhythm is quite different than humans. Cats have more active/inactive cycles than humans do. So when they're active, it's for a shorter time period, but several times throughout the day and night. And the same for sleep. If you keep track of when your cat is sleeping and is active, I think you'll find that they occur at roughtly the same times each day.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Our Boo has a clock, that is for sure. She *knows* when it is time for her nummies!!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My wife and I thought this was hilarious...

One of our cats would wake her up EVERY morning at 6:10am, 5 minutes before her alarm went off (he knew it was time to eat.) We figured he knew it was time by the breaking of daylight. But when we changed the clocks in the fall, there he was again.. right at 6:10am.

We've determined he knows how to tell time, and will soon be doing algebra.
joe2547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Same with my cats, except they don't know when the time changes from daylight time and back....so for a while, they're an hour off one way or the other.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Tuxie is the same way, she will start to wake us up few mins before the alarm clock goes. But when the time moved forward she was off for a few days.
badet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement