How can I keep my neighbor's cat out of my yard? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default How can I keep my neighbor's cat out of my yard?

I have 3 cats of which 2 of them are very territorial. They get very unhappy when there is another cat in the yard and my neighbor's cat is constantly coming around. He comes up on my farmer's porch and looks in the sidelight window by the door or gets up on the bench under my dining room window and looks in my DR window. He has torn those screens trying to get at my cats and I obviously can never have those windows open. He uses my mulch beds as a litter box. I have a screened porch on the back of the house and he comes up on the attached deck and tries to get at my cats. I can no longer let more than one out there at a time because last summer he came around and they ended up fighting with each other out of frustration. Both of them ended up biting each other and I ended up with $500 worth of vet bills. And I get woken up in the middle of the night by my cats hissing a growling because this guy is peeking in my windows at 3am.

I have nicely asked the owner of the cat to keep him in and she agreed both times I asked, but he was out again today. I'm not up for another summer like this and I need to get this to stop. The worse part is that these people don't care about the cat, they've gone away for a week at a time and intentionally left the cat outside.

Someone suggested I get a Super Soaker water gun and keep it on the porch and shoot him when he comes around. Anyone think this would do any good? Anything I can put in it besides plain water that would be really offensive to him but not harm him? Cause if not, I'm about ready to trap him and take him to the shelter and say he's a stray.

Suggestions?

(Oh yeah... and I called animal control and there are no cat nuisance laws in my town)

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: How can I keep my neighbor's cat out of my yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
The worse part is that these people don't care about the cat, they've gone away for a week at a time and intentionally left the cat outside.
If they're going to neglect the cat, I'd skip to the trap and rehome option. Why not contact a local rescue to see if they have space for him? Is he altered yet? If not, even more reason to do so, since summer is a busy time for kittens.

The Super Soaker is not going to work well. The cat can see and smell you, and will just hide until you're not on the porch. Unless you're going to camp out there all day, the moment you go to do something else it'll be back. Had a similar situation with my yard a long time ago. Sorry. You could try using the following things to keep the cat away:

Cayenne pepper, bobcat or coyote urine, or citrus oils/plants. They also sell a cat-repelling plant but some cats aren't affected by them.

If the cat is causing actual damage to your property, torn screens, vet bills, poo on the lawn, then you can have the authorities intervene. Just document the incidents and get a picture of the animal in the act. Keep receipts for screen repairs, vet bills and yard cleanup. Even if you clean the poo up yourself, be sure to document how much an equivalent pooper scooper service would have cost you because your services still have a value.

As long as they do not have sufficient fencing/restraint, and from your description it sounds as if they don't, then they are liable for any damage their cat causes. Because the law views animals as property, your cats injuries count too. However, taking this route might cause some neighbourly tensions.
sefaleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I second the suggestion of trap and shelter. If the person really cares about the cat they will retrieve it and pay the fees. Eventually they will grow tired of paying the fee and actually do something useful. If they don't, it might find a better home.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement