"Soft Bites" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default "Soft Bites"

Gizmo has been giving me an increasing number of 'soft bites' lately. Some times this is during play. Once it was a gentle reminder that she did not want to be petted.

But is it normal for the 'soft bites' to increase over time? Perhaps it is the hot muggy weather that has done it. Gizmo still plays, but not as frequently or energetically as in the winter; she likes to lie in the hall and especially in the bathroom to cool down.
gizmocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Biting is pretty common in declawed cats. Don't really know why she's doing it in this situation, but it's probably best to discourage it before she thinks it's an acceptable way to communicate.

She may be getting frustrated that you're not picking up on something that she wants, whereas you always react when she nips. Or, she may be irritable from the heat, but you may be missing other body language cues to leave her alone. It's hard to say.
sefaleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've heard them called 'love bites', I think mostly harmless because it is isn't out of frustation when they do it.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

In one case Gizmo was telling me she did not want something done, but at other times they were 'love bites'.

I just got home after a day away and she was playful and affectionate, with no biting. It's also a lot cooler here. Probably she was suffering from the heat. Thank you for the comments.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Dunga gives me "love bites". Only to me - not to my husband. She usually does it when she wants me to stop petting or when she is trying to wake me up in the morning to get fed. It doesn't hurt and I got used to it. The other cats don't do it at all.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Punky gives love bites when she's feeling affectionate and I'll make a soft "ow" sound as if it's painful... she stops biting and starts licking.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Gizzy still does the soft bites, but not as hard, and I tell her No when she does it and then pull away. I believe that she realizes that she can hurt.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default soft bites

Jimmy gives us soft bites all the time. We just let him, because he never bites hard and its one of the few ways he'll actually show any 'affection'.
We've grown to quite like it really. He seems to do it as part of a grooming routine. He loves to lick us on any piece of exposed flesh he can find. After a few vigourous licks, he usually gives you a soft bite. He often does it to my finger when I'm wearing a ring. He seems to think the ring is something I've got caught in my 'fur' and it needs to be groomed out. He's so funny

seashell
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Gizmo does it still during playtime but knows not to bite too hard. I still say No, though.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default soft bites

You're right Gizmo, we should say no as well. We let him get away with things that we shouldn't sometimes.

seashell
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement