Female calico cat losing hair? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
morningstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9
Send a message via MSN to morningstar
Female calico cat losing hair?

I have noticed my cat has been losing hair on the under side of her arms. Today I noticed on her tummy she losing hair on both sides except for in the middle and I have not a clue why.

I know it could be from stress, but this is a lot of hair that is missing. Does anyone have any suggestions or have any idea about this?

I am calling the vet tomorrow to talk about it with them and see if it's worth worrying about and see if I should bring her in. (I'd rather call first because she freaks out too much in the pet carrier, last time she cut up her nose really good from trying to get out).

Thanks in advance.

"For all we could have done, and all that could have been..."
-Trent Reznor
morningstar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 14,082
There are so many things that can cause hair loss. Here's some info:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=195
coaster is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 20,634
Hair loss definitely signals that something is wrong...a vet visit is in order.



Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
doodlebug is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 PM
BTP
Kitten
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24
How old is she?
Do you give her flea medication? (advantage, etc.)

What could be the cause of the stress, and can that be addressed?
BTP is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
morningstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9
Send a message via MSN to morningstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTP
How old is she?
Do you give her flea medication? (advantage, etc.)

What could be the cause of the stress, and can that be addressed?
she's maybe 8-9??? i recently moved out on my own... and took my cats, that was two months ago, my mom said maybe that's why? no, i don't give her flea med... she has a vet appt tomorrow. she's not going to like that very much.

"For all we could have done, and all that could have been..."
-Trent Reznor
morningstar is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:36 PM
BTP
Kitten
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24
Any kind of change is often stressful to cats-
but especially moving. Alot of times they respond by
licking too hard.

Make sure she is getting alot of cool fresh water and if you
are feeding her supermarket type food (some of that is practically nutrition-less)- i would strongly recommend
buying some higher quality food (pro-plan, etc.) and maybe a bit
of meat/fish. Fish especially has alot of vitamins, etc. that are good for fur and skin. -but plenty of water is all important.

Does she 'act' really stressed? Is she licking alot?
BTP is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
morningstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9
Send a message via MSN to morningstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTP
Any kind of change is often stressful to cats-
but especially moving. Alot of times they respond by
licking too hard.

Make sure she is getting alot of cool fresh water and if you
are feeding her supermarket type food (some of that is practically nutrition-less)- i would strongly recommend
buying some higher quality food (pro-plan, etc.) and maybe a bit
of meat/fish. Fish especially has alot of vitamins, etc. that are good for fur and skin. -but plenty of water is all important.

Does she 'act' really stressed? Is she licking alot?
well she was licking/biting under her arm last night and i noticed a bump, but she wouldn't really let me look at it (she's really stobborn). she does like a lot, but she's always been like that. i buy her dry food but also the wet meow mix food for treats which she loves. if i go in the kitchen, she expects one right then and runs in there and starts being happy/purring/rubbing on things. my cats normally get one everyday.

"For all we could have done, and all that could have been..."
-Trent Reznor
morningstar is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
morningstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9
Send a message via MSN to morningstar
did i mention that last night that when we went to feed them more dry food, the food was moldy? when we got home from walmart, they chowed down on the new food as if they hadn't aten in awhile... could this be caused by not eating/bad food?

"For all we could have done, and all that could have been..."
-Trent Reznor
morningstar is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 11:00 AM
BTP
Kitten
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24
Yes. Mold is not good and could make anyone sick.
When you say 'not eating' do you mean kitty is
not eating much at all?
If that goes on for more than 3 or 4 days, kitty will be in trouble.

Go by a pet store and get a bag of high-quality-high-nutrition dry food.
Sometimes cats gets bored with the same food just like people do,
and also try a can of tuna, or some meat (try some deli meats). Whatever it takes to get kitty to eat.
Remember that cats are carnivores, and need the proteins found only in
meat or chicken.

The bump you mention could be bad- it may be an infected wound or
worse. (older cats and dogs are prone to tumors and such)

Sounds like a vet visit is what you need to do.
BTP is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
morningstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9
Send a message via MSN to morningstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTP
Yes. Mold is not good and could make anyone sick.
When you say 'not eating' do you mean kitty is
not eating much at all?
If that goes on for more than 3 or 4 days, kitty will be in trouble.

Go by a pet store and get a bag of high-quality-high-nutrition dry food.
Sometimes cats gets bored with the same food just like people do,
and also try a can of tuna, or some meat (try some deli meats). Whatever it takes to get kitty to eat.
Remember that cats are carnivores, and need the proteins found only in
meat or chicken.

The bump you mention could be bad- it may be an infected wound or
worse. (older cats and dogs are prone to tumors and such)

Sounds like a vet visit is what you need to do.
she wasnt eating the dry food because she knew something was wrong with it, with the new bag, she chowed down. and i have meow mix wet food for them that they get everyday. i do give them meat, all the time.

yeah i canceled her appt cuz i dont have the money right now =[

"For all we could have done, and all that could have been..."
-Trent Reznor
morningstar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome