What is Lysol doing to my cats?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default What is Lysol doing to my cats??

I just found out that Lysol is harmful for cats! I knew about Pine-sol, but not Lysol, and I use it ALL THE TIME, both the wipes and the sprays, in the cat room. It never seemed to bother them. What have I done to them??

The spray is supposed to be bad for their lungs, and it can irritate their skin if they touch it. But if they haven't had problems before, and I stop using it immediately, which I'm totally doing, will it cause any long-term issues?

Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Sigh. This misinformation is still making the rounds on the internet due to outdated information (probably, although I think some sources have an ax to grind.) I went through a whole discussion about this on another forum, including contacting the manufacturer and posting the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). But despite the evidence to the contrary, some people still cling to the idea that Lysol is toxic to cats. Let's get this straight up front:

Lysol no longer contains phenols

Lysol is safe WHEN USED AS DIRECTED

Basically that second statement means the product needs to air dry before allowing a pet to come into contact with it. Yes, of course they shouldn't breath it or ingest it, that's common sense. Read the product cautions on the label. And lingering fragrances are a whole different issue with allergies, not toxicity.

For the straight information, required to be filed with government, look up the MSDS for the product you're concerned about.

http://msds.reckittprofessional.com/cus ... /index.xml
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

You're my hero -- thanks so much! I will pass this on to my original source.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Old 10-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Pine Sol is bad for cats? Is there someplace I can get more information on this?
blackeyedgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Here's a link to download the MSDS for Pine Sol:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/product ... l#Pine-Sol

there's one for each Pine Sol product.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks, Tim! I followed the link, but it only gave descriptions for potential hazards to humans. Plus a lot of stuff like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/pinesol/originalpine-solbrandcleaner.pdf
The Material Safety Data Sheet for ORIGINAL PINE-SOL BRAND CLEANER[/url]]EPA - SARA Title III/CERCLA: This product is regulated under Sections 311/312. This product contains no chemicals which are regulated under Section 313 and contains sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate (CAS #25155-30-0, <4%), ammonium hydroxide (CAS #1336-21-6, <1%), benzoic acid (CAS #65-85-0, <1%) and glycol ethers (<1%) which are regulated under Section 304/CERCLA.
If anyone can translate, please do!

Blackeyedgurl, the original Pine-Sol reference I read was on the Feline Infectious Peritonitis and Coronavirus Web Site, which was created by a Scottish veterinary researcher. However, I don't know what year it was last updated. Here's what it says:

Quote:
[C]lean your litter tray with domestic bleach (sodium hypochlorite). Do stick to bleach disinfectants, as pine based ones are toxic to cats.
That's all the info it has. Everywhere else I've seen Pine-Sol referred to as being bad for cats, Lysol has been lumped in with it. So I don't know what to tell you.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Heh heh ... now you know why I didn't want to do it. Those things are hard to interpret. But look under "Hazardous Ingredients" and you find "Pine Oil" and just google "pine oil cats" and you find numerous references that pine oil is toxic to cats. So the conclusion is that the original Pine Sol, containing pine oil IS toxic to cats. I think it would be a very good idea, not only to prevent a cat from coming into contact with it, but also to rinse the surface after use so there's no residue.

Whereas with respect to Lysol products, they were claimed to be toxic to cats because they contained phenol (which IS toxic to cats); however, there is NO phenol in Lysol, which can be proved by the MSDS. Probably it used to -- I can't dispute that -- but it doesn't now, and so if the label precautions are followed, it should be safe to use around cats.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I didn't know about the Pine Sol. Makes me glad that we leave the house a mess and never clean the floor.

I used to live in an apartment that had termites. After I would Pine Sol'ed the floor, there would be about a 2 week period of time in which any terminte venturing across the floor would start to get unsteady and then die before reaching the other side of the room. Of course, cats are not bugs, but still... there're down there at floor level walking on it and breathing it in.

Hmmm....
Palanggingging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

If you're worried about chemicals and their effects, you could always use natural cleaning products or non-toxic brands. I only use non-toxic cleaning products except for the bathtub wand (it's just so easy) and the Swiffer Wet (for the same reason) - I just keep the cats out for a while.

Method has some good products, as does Seventh Generation. I buy them both online because no one sells them here.

http://www.methodhome.com
http://www.drugstore.com
MandyJoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement