Cat allergies: Feline Pine? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2006, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat allergies: Feline Pine?

Lately MrWendel has been acting a bit sluggish, and occasionally dry heaving(hairball?). He's also started licking everything in sight, walls cabinets, cardboard boxes, everything. Just now, he threw up a little. There have been two major changes in the last couple weeks. First I built him some new furniture. A scratching post, and a two level scratcher. Both with sisal(pics are in meet my kitty). The other is that I got fed up with Arm and Hammer "easy flush" clogging my toilet, so I switched to feline pine and now feline pine scoopable(I messed up the first time and thought that feline pine WAS scoopable).

I'm wondering if either of these is causing him to get sick. He had a URI about 6 months ago when I got him, but since then he's been perfectly healthy. Oh, he also has stopped eating his wet food as eagerly. He still eats some of it, but sometimes leaves it for a while or doesn't finish. The food is the same Merrick that I've always fed him and he used to eat it immediately. This actually started before the introduction of the posts and litter.

Any ideas? If it does appear to be allergies, is there any way I can figure out what he's allergic to?

Thanks for any help.
TheMeThatYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I was about to agree with your diagnosis of allergies until I read that he lost his appetite before you got the post and the new litter. And the symptoms aren't consistent with the usual allergy symptoms. Since this has been going on for a couple weeks, I think it's time to take him to the vet. That's the only way to know what he's dealing with. Hopefully, nothing serious.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree -- sluggishness and lack of appetite call for a trip to the vet.

By the way, how old is Mr. Wendel?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks guys. MrWendel is around 3, but he started doing better almost immediately after I posted this. I'm still not sure what, if anything was wrong, but hes been really active(annoyingly so) and hasn't been coughing up anything. And best of all, he's eating all his food right away again : ).

It seems I was just a little overly worried because it was the first time he's thrown up. I'll still keep an eye on him, but he seems fine now. Thanks again though.
TheMeThatYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Glad to hear he's perking up Is it possible he could have ingested something? Just something to think about as you watch his progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement