Problems after tom cat neutering - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Problems after tom cat neutering

We recently had our two cats, one male one female, neutered at the age of 6 months. Both were extremely fit, happy & boisterous prior to neutering, with the male being the heaviour and more boisterous. Annie has made a full and energetic recovery, but a day after the operation Alfie began having difficulty keeping down food, vomiting up brown foul smelling almost liquid. We immediately returned him to the vet where he was neutered, but despite an x-ray, blood tests, and two nights observation they did not reach a diagnosis. Some two weeks later Alfie has lost a lot of weight and is listless. He will take food and water, and sometimes it seems to stay down, but he is still vomiting on occasion. He is a shadow of himself before his neutering.

I am not a vet but I am experienced with cats and dogs. It is starkly obvious to me that Alfie is not right, but I am not sure how to proceed. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that his condition stems from his neutering, but this is obviously a difficult suggestion to make to the vet.

Any advice appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

You're right. I think you need to take this cat to a different vet. Is he having bowel movements? What are they like?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Default Neutered Cat

That is too bad he is having a hard time...did the vet check his white blood cell count? Maybe put your cat on a bland diet until they can find out what is happening with him. My cat was very sick two weeks ago, with lots of vomiting. My vet had me feed him Science Diet i/d canned food, which is very bland. He was able to keep most of the food down.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I will cast another vote for a second opinion. Something's not right with Alfie and it needs another look-see.
Sky Eyes Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. For the first week when we got them back we had a litter tray down primarily for Annie who couldn't get through the cat-flap with her 'bucket' collar on. Alfie took advantage of the tray as well and he was moving his bowels, which looked loose but not abnormal. They are both now using the cat-flap so it is harder to be sure but I think if he wasn't moving his bowels he would be in even worse shape by now.

I have written to the vet today explaining my concerns, saying I am thinking of getting a second opinion, but also saying that I think it right they have an opportunity to suggest what they would propose as the next investigation. Alfie doesn't seem to be having acute problems, just generally subdued and much too thin, like he has aged prematurely. I'll see what the vet says in reply and get a second opinion if I'm not satisfied.
Advertisement