Indoor cat food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Indoor cat food

I am now feeding my cat (Chloe) Nutro complete care indoor (canned primarily, but I always have a little dry food out for her to eat as well), is there a big difference between this and the regular (non-indoor) cat food? Was curious, because I want to get some Eagle Pack canned food for her as well for some more variety, but they don't have an indoor specific food (at least not that I can find).

Is it okay for me to switch from different brands of food as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

In general, "indoor" formulas are much like "lite" formulas... the biggest difference is that these often have more carbohydrates (usually in the form of grains) and more fiber. The way I see it, its actually just a gimmick, and an indoor formula is not actually better for an indoor cat. In fact, the higher amount of fillers and carbs are not a good part of their diet.

It is perfectly fine to switch to a different brand, but the transition should be made gradually, especially the first time. If you regularly feed a variety of brands, then switching between foods is easier. Switching between canned foods is easier as well.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Yeah. I would think more carbs would have just the opposite effect and make them gain weight!

By the way, how do you guys get a picture of your cats next to your messages?

Dave
Old 11-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeat
Yeah. I would think more carbs would have just the opposite effect and make them gain weight!

By the way, how do you guys get a picture of your cats next to your messages?

Dave
Click the profile link and upload an avatar picture. There are size limits, will need to see the rules sticky to get those.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I've been feeding my cat indoor cat food as well (usually Meow Mix Indoor formula). I think it might also have more fiber?

I'm a student so my budget is kind of tight. I know there are more expensive foods out there, but is it OK for me to be feeding him cheaper food? Seems other people are feeding their cats much nicer stuff.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I've been feeding my cat indoor cat food as well (usually Meow Mix Indoor formula). I think it might also have more fiber?

I'm a student so my budget is kind of tight. I know there are more expensive foods out there, but is it OK for me to be feeding him cheaper food? Seems other people are feeding their cats much nicer stuff.
Meow mix is pretty low quality. Everyone can only do the best that they can, but you'd be surprised at what you can afford. Taste of the Wild is a 42% protein, grain free food that is pretty high quality that can be had for around $2/lb for the big bag. You'll probably find that your cat eats less since they're getting the nutrients they need.

Even low quality wet food is preferable to Meow Mix.

You'll learn a LOT here, and there are some strong opinions. Just do the best you can with what you can afford. I think most people can do better than Meow Mix once they realize what else is out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This thread is 6 years old. Please start your own thread with your questions. Thanks...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread