Weird things on each side of my cat's anus. (photo) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Weird things on each side of my cat's anus. (photo)

My cat has 2 dark things attached to each side of her anus. At first I thought they were just dingleberries or cat litter that got stuck there, but it's not going away.

I trying pulled them out with tweezers, but it seems firmly attached.

What are those things? Infected tissues? Parasites?

My cat shows no symptoms anal sac problems.

Omi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I'm sure Osnobunnie has seen this firsthand. I haven't, but the picture fits the description of impacted anal sacs. Have you noticed your cat dragging its butt along on the floor?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I just edited my messages after going thru a bunch of pages about anal sacs. It seems to me that my cat shows none of those symptoms. No scooting, scratching, licking or anything.

She overall looks and acts healthy.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Well, weekends can be a bit slow here. We'll have to wait until someone else comes around. Anal glands is the only thing I can come up with. But in any case, it's not an emergency.

How about showing us a picture of the other side of your cat so we can see her pretty face?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Those are the openings to the anal sac ducts. Some cats have a bit more of a waxy secretion, so it builds up into a little mound. Two of my cats just have black, flat marks on either side of their anus, whereas my older cat, Levi gets some build up that looks a bit like your picture.

Because of the build up, your cat may have thicker secretion than most which can predispose to anal sac problems. I would just monitor her for scooting, increased licking or biting at her bum. The only sign that Levi would show of anal sac problems was increased crabbyness. He would start swatting at the other cats and growling when his anal sacs were bothering him. Take your kitty in to the vet if she shows any of these signs, and otherwise, just keep an eye on it.
queen of the nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

that would have been my call, too.
morea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Can we (cat-owners) express the anal glands ourselves?

I accidentally did Lucyduck's one day. I was home sick with jaundice (it makes you VERY ill), lying on the couch and watching TV. Duck walked in front of me and blocked my view. I tapped him gently on his haunches, in a sort of "move-on" gesture...and he sprinkled my FACE with butt-juice!
Oh! Stinky! I got up and washed and washed my face! Then I warned the family about tapping him on his back end.

Marmy will sometimes express if I pick him up suddenly and startle him. I've had to wash my hands/arm with him a few times.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Cats will often express their anal glands if they're startled or frightened. It's part of the "fight or flight" response. I don't know about those other times, though. A couple days ago I was standing at the kitchen counter about to begin making a sandwich. Rocket jumped up on the counter; his first move on his way up to the top of the refrigerator, from where he supervises my sandwich making (and waits for a little piece of sandwich meat.) After he leaped up to the fridge, I was about to put my bag of bread down on the counter and noticed a sprinkling of brown liquid where Rocket had landed. One quick whiff put the sandwich-making plans on hold for a while.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

So then I should just leave my cat as she is without trying to remove these things as long as she's acting normally?

Old 12-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Now that's a much better view...she's a cutie

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement