How cold of temperature can a cat endure? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default How cold of temperature can a cat endure?

Hi there, my first post here, I'm sorry if this is something commonly asked, I did a search and found a few posts discussing things such as how to help keep your cat warm, but nothing as far as specifics.

It's just a quick question, hope someone can help me out.

So basically, there's this stray cat who we first started seeing earlier this summer. I'd seen him wandering around the neighbourhood before but not paid much attention to him. One day he came in the backyard while I was sitting outside and I called him over and he was friendly enough. Long story short, I paid him a little attention and now basically he lives here.

Here's my concern. I'd like to take him in the house now that it's getting colder, but I have family members with allergies. I let him inside for a little bit now and then but I can't keep him inside permanently.

So there is the dillema. I don't want him to freeze, but I can't put him inside the house.

What I've done is. I built him this little box which I put in the corner of the wooden stairs up to the door. I have this big thick fur mat kind of thing which I put in the bottom to line it. Then I put a big blanket in there and he climbs in and when I go outside and see him there I'll wrap him up in it and he'll seem nice and cozy.

I'm in Canada, Southern Ontario to be exact, and it's starting to cool down. Will he be able to endure decently when it goes down to maybe -15 or 20 celcius the odd time throughout the winter if he's inside the garage, out of the elements, and his his little box with fur and blankets to huddle inside? The average temp through the winter will be higher.

Thanks for replies.
Allan
acehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I don't know too much about the cold, but do you maybe know of someone who whould love to adopt him and get him neutered and keep him in their house! He sounds like a sweetie! Thanks for caring and making him a nice warm place!
zippy96444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm sorry you can't bring him in with the allergies. He sounds like a nice little guy

Is the box you made for him well protected from the elements? I can't cite any temps for you, but if his shelter is warm and out of the wind and rain/snow, I think he should be reasonably warm. If you can put it in the garage, even better

Have you had the cat neutered or gotten him shots? Since he's an outdoor cat, shots are important to prevent illnesses, and neutering will help keep him from wandering and impregnating all the nearby females.

EDIT to add: Maybe you could just bring him in on the days when it is especially cold. You could separate him into one room to limit the allergens.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

In the wake of the power outages here in the Midwest, a recent Humane Society quote on the radio advised that pets can be safely left (in unheated houses) at 45 degrees F, but not for long periods of time. I didn't catch what was considered a 'long' period of time as I was driving at the time.

Do you know what temperature it is in your garage? It might be okay if your garage stays 40-60 degrees in winter.
sefaleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement