Cat's paws with weird calluses. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat's paws with weird calluses.

I've had two vets look at my cat's paws, so this is not an emergency. I just want to see if anyone out there has cats with this... it would be reassuring.

I got my kitten when he was 11 weeks old. He's 8 months old now. He had this problem already when I got him.

The first vet I asked about it was the one who vaccinate him. She told me she only very rarely saw this, and always in elderly cat. She told me that it would probably go away through normal activity (running around, scratching) and suggested some scratching toys and a scratching post.

The second vet I asked about this was our regular vet. I had my kitten tested for kidney problems due to the fact that he had eaten about five or six pouches of the recalled food (luckily he had never liked them). This was about two weeks ago. The vet told me he has NEVER seen a young cat with this amount of growth on the paws, but that there wasn't much that could be done about it.

I've tried clipping these things (they are dry/flaky inside, like a callus or just dry dead skin), but they grow right back very quickly. And it's impossible to clip them off completely, so there seems to be no point.

I don't know why this bugs me so much. I guess just the fact that it seems to be so unusual that even the vets have no experience with it.

He uses the scratching post and is very active in general, but it doesn't help.

He has this on ALL of his paws, on all the pads including the big one in the middle of the paw. They're slightly smaller on the hind feet.

Here's a picture. Isn't it awful? My poor mutated kitty.

http://i5.tinypic.com/3160l61
MizzFroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've never seen anything like that, don't know what to suggest other than if they don't seem to be bothering him and the vet doesn't think it's an issue then just letting it go.

I'll move this thread to Health & Nutrition for you, this forum is for technical help with using this message board.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've never see anything like it either. Perhaps a fungus or virus like athletes foot or warts in people Or maybe an allergy of sorts?

Are they bothersome to the cat? Does he pick at them?

catnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Looks like he's trying to grow claws out the ends of his pads!
It doesn't look like he'd be able to wear them down with walking because they look like they grow above the level weight bearing plane. You may just have to keep clipping as they get long...
h
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

It does look like claws, I've never seen that before. I tried googling it and found this page about 'cutaneous horns': http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cfoot.html.
Maybe you can ask your vet about other tests if you think that is what he has. If everything checks out ok maybe he just has a little more to love.
jonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I guess you just have a very unique kitty.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip
Are they bothersome to the cat? Does he pick at them?
They're not bothering him as far as I can tell. He never pays any attention to them. They can get a bit sharp, and that's when I clip them, since like I said they're not worn down by any normal activity like using the scratching post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I'll move this thread to Health & Nutrition for you, this forum is for technical help with using this message board.
Thanks. I realized I clicked the Thread button in the wrong forum... shouldn't have so many windows open, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsgirl
It does look like claws, I've never seen that before. I tried googling it and found this page about 'cutaneous horns': http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cfoot.html.
He's been vaccinated against everything, and he's been tested specifically for feline leukemia, so hopefully it isn't related.

I guess he's just weird. *sigh*

Thanks all.

By the way, here's the kitty himself:

MizzFroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

He's a very handsome kitty.....looks like a real snuggebug.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sounds like some odd genetic thing. Its definately unusual... I've never seen anything like it either. It doesn't really look bad though, just different.

He's an adorable little kitty, so I wouldn't dwell too much on his unusual paws
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

It looks genetic to me too.

I am not a vet or anything close, but I would guess if it were warts or a fungal infection it wouldn't look so symetrical and the same on each foot.

Could be the next leap foward in cat evolution .
Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement