Best Electric Clipper For a Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Best Electric Clipper For a Cat

I have a himalayan who has a matt of hair that needs to be clipped. It's too big to brush out. I tried my sister's clipper that she uses for her west highland terrier, but it wouldn't cut through the hair. I don't know if the blade was just too dull (works for the dog), or if I need a special clipper for a cat. Can't seem to find any cat specific clippers in an internet search. I read a few user reviews of clippers which said the clipper worked for their dog, but not on their cat's hair.

Why would a clipper work on a dog's hair, but not a cat's?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good clipper for a himalayan?
DaveGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I'm sorry I can't help with a recommendation; but just wanted to say that if you don't get an answer here, why don't you call several of your local groomers that have worked with cats? I'm sure they've got their opinions about what works best.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Clippers won't be able to clip through the middle of a mat. The hair is matted too densely for the clipper teeth to get into and the blades can't cut it if they can't get into it. You have to clip it under the mat and against the skin. This is sometimes a delicate procedure as a cat's skin is very flexible and you should proceed very slowly so the skin doesn't get pulled up and into the teeth of the clippers.
I have found it helpful to use scissors (carefully) to cut the center of the mat so it isn't such a large ball. You still have to make sure you don't pull the cat's skin up with the mat and cut the skin...I don't pull the mat, only take small snips throught the center, well above the skin. When the large ball is removed, then I clip between the mat and skin with the clippers.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

A good clipper will skim right under the mat. There's none better than the Oster Golden A5. Wish I could afford a set, with four long-hairs in the bunch--the cheaper ones cost less money but lots more aggravation!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
drjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement