Green Tea and Cats?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Green Tea and Cats??

just wondering if anyone knows the effects of green tea on Cats..like real green tea, not that fake stuf...like whole leaf stuff...japanese or chinese green tea. Peanut goes absolutly loco when he smells it...HAS to have it and i have had to knock him out of my unattended cup several times....but is it good or bad for him...i know its good for people...is it safe for him to have a little bit in a dish?
Willow771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Caffeine is very dangerous for cats. It could kill them. Although Green tea has less caffeine then coffee or regular tea, it has enough to be harmful to cats. Especially if they eat the leaves.

My cat is a coffee nut. Whenever my wife has coffee, the cat follows her around the house. She can only set it down on high places the cat can’t reach. I prefer the green tea myself, but I never noticed if the cat had any interest.

regards,
Brian
Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

A "lethal" dose of caffeine in cats is somewhere between 80mg/kg and 150mg/kg from what I can find. A cup of green tea has between 8 and 30 mg according to a stash website.

Assume the worst, 80mg/kg and 30mg in a cup. Unless my math is off somehow, a 7 lb cat could drink 40 cups of green tea before getting a lethal dose.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
A "lethal" dose of caffeine in cats is somewhere between 80mg/kg and 150mg/kg from what I can find. A cup of green tea has between 8 and 30 mg according to a stash website.

Assume the worst, 80mg/kg and 30mg in a cup. Unless my math is off somehow, a 7 lb cat could drink 40 cups of green tea before getting a lethal dose.
I get around 8.5 cups: 7lbs = 3.175 kg. At 80mg/kg that's 254 mg, at 30 mg/cup that's 8.46 cups of green tea (or a little less than two cups of coffee).

Maybe still not worth being paranoid over, but perhaps I should be more careful cleaning up my spilled tea leaves. Forgetting about lethality for a moment, the last thing I need is cats on a caffeine high rushing around my apartment.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

my tea leaves are always put in little pouches and tossed after it is steeped. so there is no leaves in the water...so its only the steeped water the cat is after... So heres the kicker....there are dozens and dozens of health benefits to green tea, such as lowering cholesteral, helping the body metabobolize fat at a higher rate and reducing the risk of cancers or heart problems...as well as protecting your brain cell membranes...

is a couple tablespoons of green tea without the leaves a benefit to the cat...or a problem... do the pro's and con's weigh even? i mean if your calculations are correct...my cat would have to eat the whole can of tea leaves for its life to be at risk LOL let alone 2 or 3 little leaves steeped in water and then removed and tossed and having only the water

OK, i did a little research and found this.

Tetley Teas:

There are between 40 and 50 milligrams of caffeine in a typical eight ounce cup of brewed Tetley black tea or green tea steeped for three to five minutes

I only dip mine a few times in the water with less than 1min of float time. does that mean the amount of caffeine is less than half???
Willow771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow771
OK, i did a little research and found this.

Tetley Teas:

There are between 40 and 50 milligrams of caffeine in a typical eight ounce cup of brewed Tetley black tea or green tea steeped for three to five minutes

I only dip mine a few times in the water with less than 1min of float time. does that mean the amount of caffeine is less than half???
I can't answer the other questions but I believe the majority of the caffeine steeps out of the tea leaves in the first 30 seconds. So, no.

How about white tea? I think it's lower in caffeine than green tea. Or decaff tea? Dunno, I personally just don't want to deal with wired cats...
Old 06-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I had the wrong conversion for lbs to kgs. Whoops.

Black tea does not have the same amount of caffeine as green tea, it has noticeably more.

White tea has slightly less.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement