Testing urine PH at home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Testing urine PH at home

Are the strips for human PH testing available from pharmacies reliable for cats? I would like to check on Wicket's urine PH regularly, to make sure his diet is helping... does anyone has experience doing this at home?

What's an average normal reading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The biggest issue IMO is getting a good specimen from your cat.

The strips are very reliable in measuring pH - they are used by human diabetics and can be critical for their treatment.
There are a variety of test strips available. There are some that measure only urine pH - this would be the best otion for you as they are cheapest. If the local doesn't have them in stock, they should be abe to order them for you. You could also order them online as they don't require a prescription.

Check with your vet first.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 09-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks a lot for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4
The biggest issue IMO is getting a good specimen from your cat.
Yes, I read that most people use non-absorbant litter or aquarium gravel for that purpose. However, I am not squeamish, and am home most of the day, so I would not mind holding a little plastic cup while Wicket is going... the cats are used to my stalking them to the litterbox and observing what comes out of them

Quote:
Check with your vet first.
About what? What should I ask him?
He is not very reliable... called me five days later than he said he would, just to tell me the cat should eat Hill's. Could not tell me anything about the results except "oh he has struvite crystals", and hasn't mailed the results of the urinalysis yet, even though I asked last week...
Old 09-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I think the little plastic cup would give you the best sample. You don't have to worry about contaminants from the gravel. And your cat might not want to go in the gravel, anyway. I once tried to collect a urine sample using NoSorb, but Twinkie refused to use the box.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Addison refused the Nosorb too.

Assumpta's mommy holds the strips under her while she pees. She's a very patient mommy

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
OsnobunnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Assumpta's mommy holds the strips under her while she pees.
Oh that would be even easier than the plastic cup - perfect
I will go buy some of these strips today.
Thanks everyone!
Old 09-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Five days? I'd have a new vet, but that's just me.

Since normal dog and cat pH is 5.5 to 7.0, I'd want to know what your vets considers desirable. And if it isn't where you want it, what do you need to do.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4
Five days? I'd have a new vet, but that's just me.
He's not my usual vet, just the only available one when I needed the appointment for Wicket... and I'm definitely not planning on calling on him ever again.

Quote:
Since normal dog and cat pH is 5.5 to 7.0, I'd want to know what your vets considers desirable. And if it isn't where you want it, what do you need to do.
I will have to call my habitual vet and ask him then. The one that saw Wicket couldn't give me any details on his condition, all he did was blab like a robot about Hill's prescrition diets... I told him I was going to use a meat-based, grain-free diet to acidify the urine, and he said he was sorry but he had "no clue about the holistic approach"
Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yes, Assumpta's human holds the strip under her, or catches a mid-stream sample in a cup. Then again, I have always made sure to frequently walk past the litterbox and talk to or touch Assumpta while she's doing her thing, so it wasn't TOO bizarre for her when I started doing samples. I haven't met many cats who will pee in a cup...Assumpta is a very patient kitty...also stubborn.

She refused to use the No-Sorb. The first time, it took me 8 hours to get a sample, and even then she stood on the edge of the litterbox to pee and ended up tipping it over on herself. The next time, I finally gave up after 14 hours of Assumpta walking over, staring sadly into the litterbox, and meowing at me in a pathetic way...so I put her litter back, sat down next to the box, and used the no-sorb cup to collect a sample...took her 30 seconds after the litter was back in the box, and at that point, I probably could have set off a bomb next to the box and she would have just kept peeing (relief was evident on her little face after holding it that long).

We're still stuck at 7.0+, and I will probably have to find another way to give her methionine (triple-fish compound was too oily). I think they have chewables that can be crushed into food. It's not like I can put her on permanent daily metronidazole.

Edited to add: My technique is to wait until she starts, then gently wave the strip in roughly the area where the stream should be (it's probably going to be lower than you think). Occasionally I miss, but I usually manage to get something. My pH strips come in a roll so you can tear off as long or short a strip as you need.
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife
We're still stuck at 7.0+, and I will probably have to find another way to give her methionine (triple-fish compound was too oily). I think they have chewables that can be crushed into food. It's not like I can put her on permanent daily metronidazole.
That must be quite an exhausting task to try and keep her healthy, day by day... what would a good PH be for her?

What kind of strips do you use? Regular urine strips from the pharmacy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement