New Here...my older cats don't like dry cat food anymore... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default New Here...my older cats don't like dry cat food anymore...

Hi! I'm brand new here but I did look at the stickied post here about how canned/wet cat food is better than dry and that made me feel a lot better. My cats (I've had as many as five at one time; have two currently) were primarily raised on dry cat food. I always thought that it was better for them-that's what my mother always fed our cats and what she told me. However, they have always loved wet food so they'd get it as a 'treat'. In the past few years I've started to add more wet food because they liked it so much.

Now I'm noticing that my two cats don't want dry cat food anymore. What I have been feeding them is a can of wet cat food mixed with dry, as that's the only way I can get them to eat it. They will not eat dry food by itself anymore-I've switched brands, etc and they still don't want it. My husband and I talked about it and decided since they are older (they are both 11 years as of this fall) maybe it's hurting their teeth and we should probably just give them only canned from now on. My question is, is that good for them, to have solely wet food? Should I worry about teeth damage or anything else?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
Avalonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

an all wet diet is ideal for them - especially if they like it better than dry!

however, if you really think their teeth are hurting and that's the reason behind no more dry - you should have them checked out by a vet and possibly look into having them cleaned. Its really not fair to simply feed a softer food because eventually, the teeth will get to the point where they'll refuse all food.

dry food doesn't really keep teeth clean - for the most part cats tend to swallow the pieces whole anyway. Most cats do very well on an only canned food diet. But again, if you think the teeth are an issue its better to have them checked out.

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
OsnobunnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thanks!

The 'hurting teeth' is more of a theory since I haven't really see any sign of it, but they both could use a check up regardless, I think. I'm lucky that both of them are so healthy at their age, but I can't help but worry. I just lost another cat, (RIP Cleo) that I had for as long as these two, in July and now I worry about them so much more.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes, definitely get their teeth checked out, especially if they've never had a dental cleaning...they're way overdue. Dental issues can lead to much bigger problems so if you suspect the teeth are an issue, definitely get them taken care of.

But whether the teeth are an issue or not, the wet food is just soooooo much better for them...stick with it.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ditto!
Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Lucky you! A lot of people have trouble getting their cats to eat wet food. I only use dry food to supplement the amount of wet food my cats don't eat to ensure they're eating enough. If your cat doesn't like dry, then good for you and your cat, you don't even need to buy kibble at all.

Keep this in mind. Dry food is no better for your cats teeth than canned. Food particles of any form lead to plaque and tarter build up. Food is not a dentrifice unless you're giving them raw meat and bones to chew on. But that's a totally different diet from the commercial one most people feed. Chunks of raw meat can help if the cat eats it.
moggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thanks for all of your replies!

Emanon is being quite the capricious cat now. He turned up his nose at the wet food last night and this morning I found him tearing open a bag of dry cat food in the kitchen. When I put it in his bowl, he attacked it like he was starving and this is the same brand of dry food he'd refused to eat for about a month.

My theory is that he really does like both. Or he just hated the flavor of wet food my husband picked out. (It was a tuna mix; I normally never buy seafood flavors because I can't stand the smell.) Snow didn't eat much of it either and Snow will eat anything.

Of course, they both could just be plotting to drive me insane, trying to figure out what they want!

I'm going to keep serving them mostly wet food, with some dry thrown in, and as soon as I can afford another visit, they are both off to the vet. I am sure they need their teeth cleaned too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement