Fancy Feast - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Fancy Feast

I switched Sunshine to Fancy Feast a month ago because of a couple reasons.

1. Iams only has two flavors that aren't on the Recalled list, and I know how cats need variety, and Sunshine wasn't getting any variety with Iams.

2. With Fancy Feast, none of the flavors are on the Recalled list, so she gets a lot of variety. However, I don't feed her any seafood flavors.

She gets a mixture of Fancy Feast and Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys. The Fancy Feast ones I feed, Turkey, Chicken and Beef are the #1 ingredients.

Anyone else feed Fancy Feast? I know Jessie (OsnobunnieO) said that cats can get "addicted" to it or something?
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, that's all Cinderella will eat. She gets the Fish & Shrimp one (which has the best ingredients) and a variety of others.

With Cleo, I've been mixing FF with the good food. She really likes Felidae and will eat that by itself, the rest, I'm mixing half and half.

I think Steve (Catnip) feeds his kitties Fancy Feast. (My apologies if that's wrong - thought I saw it on a post the other day.)

Like my vet says, sometimes the best food for your cat is what they'll actually eat.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Fancy Feast may not have been affected by the recall, but to my knowledge ALL formulas contain wheat gluten.

It's not a great food, and it's strongly flavoured which is why cats get "hooked".
Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'll have to check out the Fish & Shrimp one. The chicken one is SOOO tempting for ME!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The Fish & Shrimp Feast has no wheat gluten in it, but it's one of very few flavors. I've tried so many other brands on Cinderella and she can't afford to skip meals. She may look big, but it's all fur.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yep... all my cats eat it... and love it!!! I try to stay away from the fish ones, but occassionally give it to them.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Not all the flavors have wheat gluten in them. But the Elegant Medley ones definitely do and I don't buy those.

I use Fancy Feast because my kibble addict Spotty has just been weaned off of dry food and to keep him eating wet I have to feed him a food that is highly palatable. Many people will tell you Fancy Feast is crap because of the by-products and artificial flavorings but there are some advantages to this food.

If you buy the loaf style Fancy Feast there is no wheat gluten, grains, fruits or veggies in them which can be great if you have a diabetic cat (and for the prevention of diabetis) Iams has added Barley to their food. Natural Balance has grains, fruits and veggies. Organix is full of rice. Felidae has rice in it. These so called natural foods would be great if they would remove the plant based fillers.

Cats love it so if you have trouble convincing your cat to eat the more natural brands of wet at least you have something they will eat.

You can use it to convince a sick cat or a cat with a reduced appetite to eat.

Many cats have done just fine on this food in spite of it's reputation for being "kitty crack" my grandparents cats and aunt's cats have all eaten Fancy Feast throughout their lives without problems. Dry cat food is more like kitty crack that wet loaf style Fancy Feast.

It's better for your cat than dry kibble which is low in moisture and full of carbohydrates.

It has not been on the recall list.

I also avoid the fish flavors and stick with chicken, turkey and beef. Some might have fish on the list such as the beef feast one but I stay away from ones that are mainly fish.

If you can find a natural brand of cat food without artificial flavorings and no grains, fruits and veggies which are fillers in canned food that's great. I've heard By Nature Organics is good. But I have not been able to find a place where I can buy a single can. If I order a case on line and my cats don't eat it I could be wasting my money.

I also expect the possibility of having my post critiqued by those who are against Fancy Feast. Please don't. It's my choice.
moggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

OMG! Thank you so much for that post!! My feelings get really hurt when people refer to Fancy Feast as crap and kitty crack. Cats have been eating Brand X food for decades and actually living through it. We do what we can. I'm sure there are people on this Forum who would never admit what they feed their kitties for fear of being slammed.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggiegirl
If you buy the loaf style Fancy Feast there is no wheat gluten, grains, fruits or veggies in them which can be great if you have a diabetic cat (and for the prevention of diabetis) Iams has added Barley to their food. Natural Balance has grains, fruits and veggies. Organix is full of rice. Felidae has rice in it. These so called natural foods would be great if they would remove the plant based fillers.

Cats love it so if you have trouble convincing your cat to eat the more natural brands of wet at least you have something they will eat.
Amen, sister! I have a houseful of cats on a grain-free diet because one has IBD, and Fancy Feast is the only wet food they'll eat. They're doing fine on it. I buy seven flavors, but there are others besides those.
Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
OMG! Thank you so much for that post!! My feelings get really hurt when people refer to Fancy Feast as crap and kitty crack. Cats have been eating Brand X food for decades and actually living through it. We do what we can. I'm sure there are people on this Forum who would never admit what they feed their kitties for fear of being slammed.
[[[[hugs]]]]

I bust a gut to get Toby to eat premium quality food and a lot of that is to do with him being FIV+ to be honest. Would I have made such an effort otherwise? Maybe not. I would have found the Bozita possibly but that would have been it. I would never have bothered getting Natures Variety or Felidae all the way from Germany or try to convince him to eat a food he actually doesnt like very much (natures:menu). If it wasnt for the FIV I would be happy with Toby eating Bozita full time (and now I'm really happy anyway because of the improved recipe).

But he loves a pouch of Whiskas 'all so meaty' every now and then. He eats it much more readily than any other food. Its his 'hamburger' - although I do sometimes feel guilty for giving it to him. Which is silly really. I know its 'crap' but he enjoys it. Yeah, it has 'by products' in but what the heck. Hands up the person who has never eaten a bar of chocolate.

Anyone?

Thought not.

And, Marie, my mothers cat has been on Fancy Feast all his life - and has lovely glossy fur (much nicer than Tobys fur!) and has hardly ever needed to go to the vet. He is 14 now and still going strong. You are doing the very best for your kitties so don't worry.

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
melysion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement