Dangerous Flea Treatments and Shampoos/ Permethrin - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #31 (permalink)
Cat

Any comments on adding rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or vinegar in the cat's bath to kill fleas? Or, maybe diluting them with water, and spraying & rubbing onto the skin and coat?
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
Kitten

ok so I just read this thread about how Hartz for cats can really hurt your cats, so I am really concerned now, but I dont think my babies had a reaction because they have not had any drops in over a month and now they only wear the flea collar so does that mean they wont have a reaction and to stop using it or that maybe the reaction is not one easily seen? do I need to take my babies to the vet
Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #33 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't think they need to go to the vet, but if that's a Hartz or Hartz-brand flea collar on them, I would take it off. Now.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #34 (permalink)
Kitten

thank you thank you for all the info
Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #35 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Exclamation Hartz flea shampoo made our cat have seizures

This was the cat I grew up with, so some years back. I'm not sure what the particular ingredients were, but it sent our kitten into seizures. Our vet told us Hartz products are horrible and she sees several cases/year of cats going into anaphylatic shock or having seizures from it. Avoid at all costs!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My grandma used to rub an orange peel on her indoor/outdoor cat and it never got fleas.. makes sense because of what you find in Citronella products for people. Plus, orange peels are all natural and safe.

*Please note I am only recommending you try actual orange peels and NOT Citronella products that are meant for occasional human use!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #37 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph View Post
Hartz Syndrome - Hartz Flea & Tick products can HARM OR KILL your loved one.

This video is graphic but necessary. All of the animal abusers employees of Hartz, Sergeant's and any other company marketing and distributing this POISON, take notice. You are helping the abuse of innocent animals.

How can anyone work for these companies and sleep at night daring to say they care for animals

I just watched the newscast video from that site, and realized I had a bottle of bio-spot shampoo from when I received Kodak all full of fleas. Needless to say I just tossed it in the trash. Thankfully, my cats are all indoor, and not on a ground floor, so I have never had an infestation here. HOWEVER god forbid I hadn't seen that video and used it again for whatever reason. It's gone now. You know, I don't even treat my cats for flea and tick prevention, since they never go outside. As far as any future infestations (knock on wood) It's Dawn dish detergent from now on.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Kitten

Just read the information on this thread - very informative. I didn't know any of the stuff re: Hartz products. We have recently adopted a stray who has roundworms, ear mites and fleas. It's been a rough week, but I think we are finally starting to get over it. The vet said we'd have to wait three more weeks to completely be sure as the life cycle takes almost 1 month. We did get a Siphotrol Fogger that has permethrin in it, and I am concerned. Is this something that is safe for our house, as long as we follow the directions?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #39 (permalink)
Kitten

My partner (Nathan) works in a laboratory as an analytical chemist, at a natural pyrethrin extracting factory. According to him they the largest supplier of natural pyrethrins in the world. He says that natural pyrethrins are completely safe for animals and humans, and I used natural pyrethrin shampoo on my kitty when I first got her (she was flea ridden and had very thin falling-out fur and skin irritation from biting/scratching). My experience is it's very effective for killing fleas, the wash basin was full of dead and dying fleas. I noticed no ill side effects afterwards, and I lathered her twice with it including her face and ears to ensure I didn't miss any fleas (Nathan assured me it is safe to eyes at low concentration levels of pyrethrin contained in the shampoo).

Synthetic pyrethrins, including permethrin, ARE highly toxic to cats. Cats have a particular sensitivity to them, and they should never be used.

Eight days after flea shampooing kitty, her fur is thick and luxuriant, and she hasn't scratched or bitten herself at all that I've seen. I find that natural pyrethrin flea shampoo is effective, safe, and I would recommend it to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread