constipated/stool stuck in anus? *updated* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default constipated/stool stuck in anus? *updated*

hello!

i have a kitty (ariel) who is turning 16 next month. about 2-3 weeks ago she had a bad uti which was taken care of with fluids at the vet and antibiotics at home. when she had the uti, she started off by peeing everywhere, then got very lethargic and wouldn't get up and move at all. she bounced back very quickly from that.

about 4-5 days ago, i noticed that she had some soft stool stuck on her butt. it wasn't really like diarrhea, it just looked like she had sat took close to the litter when pooping. i wiped it off but the problem continued. a few days ago, i saw that she had peed in my room again, far away from her litter box, and she did this another two or three times over the next two days. she was still eating the first day and a half, but hasnt eaten since monday night (for a day and a half). up until this morning, she was constantly drinking.

last night i noticed that despite my efforts to continue to wipe her behind, she had like a crust of poop around her anus. i didnt see anything there that looked like a parasite/worm, it just looked like old crusty poop. i wiped most of it off. since then, she has been very lethargic. she isn't getting up from her pillow, not even to drink water. when i rub her belly down near her rear, she starts purring really loudly like it hurts (she normally doesn't purr that much). i looked at her butt, and it looks like there is a hard piece of poop (like a pellet) stuck in/poking out from the anus.

i'm wondering if there is a safe way for me to get it out, i'm wondering if she was sick from having to pass this and maybe other pieces of hard stool or if this might be something a lot worse? i HATE not being able to rush to the vet, but the last visit cost me almost $400 just for a checkup, blood work and some fluids and that drained my 'cat health' savings, no vets around here will see a pet without same-day payment, and i have crappy credit so i can't get one of those pet credit cards.

please help, i love this cat too much to watch her suffer like this.

*update*
ok. so she seemed to be feeling a BIT better...she was drinking and walking around some. not eating still. i checked her anus more closely since i was able to recruit someone to assist, and it was just matted fur and crusted poop around the anus. her anus looks a bit red but doesnt look swollen or raw. HOWEVER. i decided to cut off some of the matted fur around the anus because i couldnt get the hair clean, and when i cut a piece away, underneath it looked like there was an abscess or something...it was a shiny red bump. then when i went to cut another matted piece of fur, she started fighting me...upon closer examination there was another long and skinny bump or piece of skin inside of the fur, sticking out about 3/4 in. from her belly. this hurt her a lot to touch. each of these bumps were about 1/2 in. away from her anus, at about a 6o'clock and 10o'clock position, so i'm not sure if it would be her anal sacs (we had that problem with the dog and he showed "classic" signs, i.e. licking, scooting and bleeding).

i applied for care credit and was denied. i've got no one to apply with me as a co-signer. i took a look at the sites you gave me, and while there might be one or two places that could give me some help, i need to see the vet first (and get an exam and pay for it) and then get the vet to agree to wait and treat her while i apply for the assistance and wait to see if i get it. for the rest of them i don't meet the eligibility requirements. i asked my grandmother for help, but she said she would only pay to euthanize her. i cant stand knowing that shes in pain and there is nothing i can do about it right now. i feel like a bad mommy because i cant afford to take care of her, but thanks to a hard couple of months my savings are completely drained until tax return time.

i live in connecticut, so if there is anyone here that knows of any sympathetic vets in ct i'd appreciate it. like i said, all of the vets i know of near where i live (within about 30mi of bristol) are very expensive and expect full payment when i bring her in.

i guess all i can do right now is make sure shes comfortable and make sure she knows that shes loved.
narkolepsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ah...poor kitty. Unfortunately there isn't any other answer but take her to the vet. The lethargy is what has me concerned. Some poop stuck to her butt is indicative of soft stools (even if not completely diarrhea). The hard piece you see is probably just more soft stuff that stuck and then dried out. The soft poop may be related to whatever issue she has going on, but it's a symptom not the cause.

You said she's not drinking water, I assume that means she's not eating either? If that's the case, combined with the lethargy, you have a very sick cat...you need to find a way to get her help. Hopefully you have enough to cover an office visit and then once you know what she needs maybe you can apply for help. Here are some links for getting financial help for sick pets. Don't assume they won't give you Care Credit unless you've actually tried, a friend of mine was able to get it with a bankruptcy on her record.

http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/300198

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... inarybills

Good luck and please keep us posted.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement