Yearly Vaccinations really necessary? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Yearly Vaccinations really necessary?

Are yearly vaccines necessary for indoor cats? My vet called and said they were due for them. Weird thing is I've never given my cats "yearly" vaccines before. They have gotten booster shots and such and last year did get a whole round of shots.

People don't get yearly vaccines once they reach adulthood...I'm a little suspicious. This is the same vet that told me my cat had ascities and she didn't..... I feel like he's trying to squeeze every dollar out of me because he knows I'm in the vet's office if the cat sneezes...

I hope I'm wrong...
4CatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Depends on who you talk to. I do an annual Purevax rabies on Assumpta and nothing else. I do the rabies because it's required by law, and because she's a confirmed biter and I'd just as soon have her up to date in case anything happens. We don't do FVRCP anymore because of her kidneys and immune issues

I believe in a full set of starter vaccinations, even for indoor cats. After that, I'd probably follow the protocol of no FeLV (for an indoor cat), an FVRCP every three years (maybe, depending on the cat), and an annual recombinant rabies vaccine.

(and "boosters" are vaccines...it's probably just a call in for booster shots. IMO, most of the annual boosters aren't necessary after the initial complete series...maybe keep a current rabies, to stay legal, but most vets I know are going every 3 years on FVRCP and not doing FeLV at all on indoor cats)
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
I believe in a full set of starter vaccinations, even for indoor cats. After that, I'd probably follow the protocol of no FeLV (for an indoor cat), an FVRCP every three years (maybe, depending on the cat), and an annual recombinant rabies vaccine.
I agree, although, if my cat's insurance didn't require it, I would not be vaccinating them at all anymore. Right now they get an FVRCP every 3 years. As far as I know, they don't require Rabies here but my vet give that every 3 years as well.
I believe even the AVMA now recommends vaccines only every 3 years for cats. This is relatively new information though, and many vets haven't kept up to date.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I am pretty sure that the FVRCP protocol is every 3 years now. The recombinant rabies vaccine we use is only certified for one year, so that's an annual for me...YMMV if you're using an adjuvanted 3-year rabies vaccine.

I do keep up on the rabies, just because of Assumpta's biting, and because I have had bats get into the house before...it's a compromise I can make. My vet and I discussed FVRCP at length because I was working with some mighty sick cats, but we decided that I would just be insanely careful about germs so we could stop the vaccines.
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

We do a 3 year Rabies and FVRCP....that's it.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Re: Yearly Vaccinations really necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CatMom
Are yearly vaccines necessary for indoor cats?...
Very recently, I came across this article. I thought I was educated and up-to-speed with my newly adopted "every 3rd year booster regime".
A very interesting read.

"Keep in mind that with all internet forums, the experience and knowledge base of the participants will vary."
- Lisa A. Pierson DVM
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Show this to your vet:

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedi ... 2&PID=2615

It was way back in 2000 already that the American Association of Feline Practitioners and the Academy of Feline Medicine Advisory Panel on Feline Vaccines began recommending a three-year interval for the vaccines that were previously given "yearly." I think any vet that isn't aware of these not-so-new guidelines has been goofing off in the continuing education credits they need for licensing.

Or maybe it's that these yearly vaccinations are such a gravy train that they really don't want clients to learn about the new protocols. Now, would that be considered professional? How about ethical?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
I think any vet that isn't aware of these not-so-new guidelines has been goofing off in the continuing education credits they need for licensing.
A great big DITTO to this. It's one of the reasons we're no longer with our previous vet.

Quote:
Or maybe it's that these yearly vaccinations are such a gravy train that they really don't want clients to learn about the new protocols. Now, would that be considered professional? How about ethical?
Those are all very good questions...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the articles, that clears it up for me. My cats do get the 3 year rabies. My vet called to confirm my appt for 3 of my cats to vaccines tomorrow and I told her according to the vetrinary association that the vaccines they had are good for 3 years. She tried to say oh no, no, they are due...then she finally admitted the rabies was good for 3 years but they needed all the others. I basically just told her, well that's not what the american vet association says so I won't be brining them in tomorrow. Then she tried to get all nice, how is peanut and tigger, etc.

I really, really, loved this vet but it's obvious they are either stupid or trying to rip me off. Personally since they know I've already spent probably $8k on my 4 cats this year alone they figure what's another $300? Well it killed me financially to spend that but you have to when emergencies come up...or maybe they think I'm just a sucker?

This same vet diagnosed my 15 yr old with ascities, stuck her with needles and put her through that stress when she was perfectly fine, no ascities at all.

I just feel so used when I so trusted these people, trusted them with my babies.
4CatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Took Kobi in for his annual check up last night and had a great vaccine conversation with my vet....She's on board (and has been for the 2 years I've know her) with the every 3 years. And now she's recommending completely stopping them for older cats (9ish and up) that are indoor only, except for rabies due to the legal requirement and the fact that we have a fairly high incidence of rabies in the area, if the cat should get out.

She did say that she does her animals every two years because she feels that they're at a much higher risk due to what she could be bringing home with her from the office.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement