Canned food at Wal-Mart - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Canned food at Wal-Mart

I was checking out the canned cat food at Wal-Mart today and was suprised to find Newman's Own and Natural Life. I've never heard of the Natural Life brand so I checked out the analysis and ingredients.

For Chicken and Seafood Platter
Analysis: Crude protein 10% minimum, Crude fat 5% minimum, Crude fiber 0.5% maximum, 78% moisture, Ash 1.9% max, Mg 0.025% maximum, Taurine 0.05% minimum.
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ocean Whitefish, Rice Flour, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Carrots, Peas, Canola Oil, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Salt, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Cassia, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Carbonate, Cranberries, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Calcium Iodate.

Here is the website. http://www.nlpp.com/cannedcatfoods.htm

I purchased a can. What do you think?
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi there! I haven't heard of this brand either, it looks pretty good overall. Fish can cause allergies after a while (symptoms can be skin problems or diarrhea and vomiting), so I would watch for that. It is good that it does not have by-products or corn or soy...

Does your kitty like it?

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'd go for the Newman's Own over the Natural Life...the rice flour doesn't thrill me. But I will say that there's a ton more worse foods out there than this. So I'd call it a reasonable choice.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks. I haven't tried it yet as we are working on a can of EVO right now. I just wanted to make a point that even some of these better foods can be found at places like Wal-Mart. I'm checking out a PetSmart today.

I wonder why no one has heard of Natural Life? Is it new?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Hi,

I had a bad experience from feeding a canned food to my cats from Walmart. I don't know if it's Walmart itself or the company but I once bought Iams canned food and every time I fed the food my cats would throw up. So I stopped feeding Iams and stopped buying pet food from Walmart.

My boyfriend who used to work at Target told me that sometimes in places like Walmart pet food can be exposed to heat for hours before being put on the shelves and that you're better off buying pet food from places like Petco, Petsmart or even the grocery store.

I tend to stay away from canned foods that contain chunks of carrots and peas. I tried this brand before. My cats don't like them and I don't understand why they can't just grind the veggies up so the cats don't notice them if they have to put this much vegetable matter into a cat food at all.
moggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Interesting about the texture, moggiegirl! Gracie threw up tiny carrot chunks when we gave her Wellness, which is a perfectly good brand of food and many folks here have cats that love it... I guess some cats can handle the larger pieces of vegetables, others cannot.

Our vet recommends choosing brands without too many filler fruits and vegetables, because she thinks they are unnecessary since cats really don't have the digestive systems to process them. Not harmful, per se, just unnecessary (plus you're paying for those ingredients and they add weight to the food!)

I wonder about this brand that no one has heard of, I wonder whether it is just a renamed (re-branded) version of something more familiar?

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement