Cat sneezing, responds to Azium - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat sneezing, responds to Azium

Hi;
My 15 year old cat Rusty has been sneezing a lot recently, and also had a dark discharge during sneezing.
I took him to the vet, and was given two medications; Azium for the sneezing, and Baytril for the infection.

Rusty responded almost immediately to the medication. The sneezing was curbed, and the dark discharge disappeared. His appetite also improved drastically.

Rusty has had a chronic condition where his eyes water, and he occasionally had sneezing fits. This is caused by a defect in his sinuses, or more specifically, the vet told me that his tear ducts were obstructed. He has had this condition since birth, and it has not really been a problem until now.

I have now run out of the Azium, and need to continue medication on a long-term basis.
The problem is that getting meds from the vet will be rather expensive, and I am currently on a limited budget.
I am looking online for a substitute for Rusty's condition, and found something called Chlorpheniramine. It is available in 4mg tabs OTC, but I hesitate to use it without the advice of a vet.

I am sure my vet will tell me not to use OTC meds, since they like to dispense and make a profit from the ones they sell.
Can anyone suggest an alternative to the expensive meds I will get from my vet?
Should i use Chlorpheniramine without knowing all that much about it, or whether or not Rusty may have side-effects from it?

Thanks for your advice

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would not use a substitute medication without the approval of the vet. But...your vet cannot deny you the right to purchase medication somewhere else, they have to write you the prescription. There are several online pet medication sites where you can order what you need. I've never used them, but the first one that comes to mind is 1-800-Petmeds

http://www.1800petmeds.com/

Maybe other members will have some advice on good sites.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I would not use a substitute medication without the approval of the vet. But...your vet cannot deny you the right to purchase medication somewhere else, they have to write you the prescription. There are several online pet medication sites where you can order what you need. I've never used them, but the first one that comes to mind is 1-800-Petmeds

http://www.1800petmeds.com/

Maybe other members will have some advice on good sites.
Hmmm... checked 1-800-petmeds. They don't stock Azium.
I'll have to ask my vet whether there is anything else I can give him.

FW
Old 06-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Here is some information on Azium, the generic name for which is Dexamethasone.

Please read the section Precautions and Side Effects
"Extreme care must be taken when stopping dexamethasone therapy. If an animal has received dexamethasone for an extended period of time, slow weaning of the drug is critical to avoid serious complications caused by insufficiency of the adrenal glands."

Also note:
"Long-term treatment with dexamethasone may result in loss of hair, weakening of the muscles, liver impairment and behavioral changes."

Now, you'll also note that there are a number of brand names and, as you now have the generic name, perhaps you should check back with PetMeds.

(I personally would be concerned with long-term use of a drug like this - especially with a 15 year old cat. I'm not saying this to question your Vet nor your confidence in him/her...if it were me, I'd certainly have a serious focussed discussion with them, however.)

"Keep in mind that with all internet forums, the experience and knowledge base of the participants will vary."
- Lisa A. Pierson DVM
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Stryker; Thanks for the advice and warning. I too was concerned about long-term use of any med, since I have always been advised not to take them long-term without consulting my physician myself.

Perhaps there is something "natural" that would help, and be safe enough to continue use for a long time.

FW
Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw2007
...Perhaps there is something "natural" that would help, and be safe enough to continue use for a long time.FW
It might be that a homeopathic Vet could suggest/prescribe something more "natural", but then there's the additional cost for such an exam/consult to consider - which might not be out of the question.

From what I understand of dexamethasone, I don't believe there will be anything available OTC on a par with it.

Just remember the caution about not stopping it suddenly.

"Keep in mind that with all internet forums, the experience and knowledge base of the participants will vary."
- Lisa A. Pierson DVM
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement