Are there any decent healthy-ingredient Fancy Feast flavors? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Are there any decent healthy-ingredient Fancy Feast flavors?

I thought I read before that some flavors were not that bad, but I searched and could not find it. Sorry if I missed it. Right now, this is the only brand that my "dry-food addict" will eat on a consistent basis.

Thanks in advance,
Jennie
Jenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I feel your pain, that's the only food I can get Cinderella to eat also. I know there were three that someone listed that were the "least worst" One of them is my diva's favorite: Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast. I'm not sure what the other two were, but maybe someone else will remember.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

There are several flavors that are grain-free, although some of them have meat by-products as the first ingredient and/or contain fish. (In the Fancy Feast world, that's as good as it gets.)

The flavors I know of are:
- Tender Beef Feast
- Gourmet Chicken Feast
- Turkey & Giblets
- Liver & Chicken
- Beef & Liver
- Beef & Chicken

Several of the seafood flavors are also grain-free, but I don't buy usually them so I don't know which ones. Basically, stay away from the ones that are labeled chopped, grilled, minced, marinated, chunky, elegant medleys, or whatever. Just go for the basic "gourmet" loaf variety.

Hope this helps.
Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Are there any decent healthy-ingredient Fancy Feast flavors?
YES, you'll find them listed here.

For heavens sake, don't beat yourself up over feeding Fancy Feast. It is a staple for many cats, and they thrive on it. I wish all the people who carry on about "by-products" would just take a moment and consider how they would describe "mouse" or "rat".......yet, if we could feed mouse and rat, my bet is you would see 75% fewer posts in this Health & Nutrition section!
Stryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks for the list. There are quite a few of us who feed our kitties Fancy Feast and it does get a little old being told how horrible it is.

My vet said any wet food is better than dry, and the best wet food sometimes turns out to be what your cat will actually eat.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Thank you for the list. I am off to shop now!

Jennie
Old 06-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The loaf style Fancy Feast cans are the ones to go with. They have a short ingredient list that is meat based and have no glutens or gravy or rice. Read the label just to be safe.

Of course there are better quality canned foods but a cat is far better off eating Fancy Feast canned than any dry food, no matter how premium. I think the artificial flavorings in Fancy Feast are very appealing to cats, that's why it has a reputation for being "kitty crack" but it's not the kitty crack that dry food is. And Fancy Feast canned should be considered for all cats refusing to eat any other wet food and for sick cats that have a reduced appetite.

Premium brands of canned like Natural Balance are great I think for healthy cats but there are certain cats, such as diabetic cats that cannot eat a lot of the brands that are considered high quality because of the addition of rice, fruit and veggies which are also unnecessary fillers for healthy cats. I would like to see more companies make high quality canned foods that do not contain rice, fruit and unnecessary veggies, that have the same nutrient profile as the Fancy Feast but with high quality meats and no artificial flavorings and colorings. The only brand I know of that is like that is By Nature Organics and my cats hated it.

Someone at a cat show once said that the best cat food is useless if the cat won't eat it so I agree that if Fancy Feast is the only wet food your cat will eat you should not beat yourself up.

I tend to give my cats a variety of wet foods, lots of high end brands, but I also give the occasional treat can of Fancy Feast, to balance out other brands like the high carb Natural Balance. Wellness is a great brand but I tend to question how healthy those sugar filled blueberries and cranberries are for my cats. My opinion is that no commercial cat food is perfect and all commercial pet food is flawed one way or another so variety is the spice of life. The best cat food I feed my cats is a raw diet called Felines Pride but it's so expensive that I don't feed it exclusively but in combination with a wide variety of wet foods. I discontinued dry and don't feed any kibble except the occasional greenies.

You can buy the occasional one can of another brand every now and then to see if your cat will eat it while you're feeding Fancy Feast.
moggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

This is SO helpful. Thank you guys for the information!
talullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Does anyone actually know what percentage carbs the Natural Balance Pea & Duck can has? I called Natural Balance and was told it was 5.9%, which I thought was great. Was I given the wrong info?

How do you figure the carbs by subtracting protein, fiber, & moisture from 100?

Thanks,
Jennie
Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi there! A while back, I found this great website ("Binky's Page") which was actually about feline diabetes but had some terrific data on canned and dry food nutritional content. I thought it was interesting so I bookmarked it. I think they include Natural Balance in there - although I am not sure if it is one of the regular flavors or the Duck and Pea. I hope this is a start...

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/index.html main page, plus two other links:

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

Fran