Bald Spot on Back Leg - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Bald Spot on Back Leg

My black tabby, Binx, has a big bald spot on the back of one of his back legs. It looks like there was a scratch there that has scabbed over, but the fur from around the scratch is gone. It's been about a week an a half and the spot is not improving... It does not look infected, nor is it pink, warm, or wet. Is this something that might improve on its own?

Just FYI: we feed them a 50/50 diet of Wellness crunchy and wet, and we recently treated them (about 3 weeks ago) with Advantage.
Edit to add: also, the scratch, scabbing, and baldness happened while my hubby and I were on vacation away from the boys. Our air conditioner stopped working, so the boys were without it for about 24 hours (in a 75-90 degree day as we live in GA) before it was fixed...maybe this exacerbated skin allergies? They are indoor kitties, btw.

Any insight would be much appreciated! It doesn't seem to bother him, but it's distressing for us (mama and dad) to see his leg in such a state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

could it be ringworm? Sometimes that virus lays dormant and when a cat is stressed it appears. How big is the spot? did it start out roundish?

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Old 07-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hi Mitts & Tess: No, it's not roundworm. The spot isn't round at all. It's about the size and shape of, say, my thumb.

It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. And I've only caught him once today licking anywhere near it. We've had to keep him distracted from the area for the last few days, so this is a good change.

I've been busy doing laundry, vacuuming, and dusting, just in case it's allergy related. We're about to go out of town again for a long weekend, and I'm nervous about leaving him again.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

One of my cats has a small bald spot on one of his hind legs too but the bald spot is only about 1.5cm in diameter. It doesnt get bigger or start growing hair, doesnt look infected either. The vet says it's harmless. He had some scabs from a skin infection when he was younger and this particular spot never grew back. Did your cat have a skin infection before? Dont take my word about it possibly being harmless, best to get it checked anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread