Astro's CRF Oil? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Re: Astro's CRF Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
Is this simply a "snake oil salemen" or not?
The product is snake oil...
Snake oil is a traditional Chinese medicine used to treat joint pain. However, the most common usage of the phrase is as a derogatory term for compounds offered as medicines which implies that they are fake, fraudulent, quackish, or ineffective....(Wikipedia)

pookie769-
Earlier, marie73 gave you a link to some information I once posted for someone who was in a similar position as yours. In that post I suggested that they check out an online group of people who are already managing the health of their CRF kitties - many of them, for many years.

In that post, I also said
Quote:
It's one thing to get generalized info from people in a general forum....it's life changing to get the real goods from people who are dealing with the same thing day-to-day.
About a year ago, I joined the online practical support group mentioned in that same post - not because I have a CRF kittie, but just to learn what I could...with (now) 6 cats, chances are I will have to deal with this in 2 of them eventually.

I have seen the value in being there, in sharing problems and receiving answers from others far more experienced. I have seen people suddenly realize that the combined experience and knowledge of the group far outstrips that of their individual Vets.

I would encourage you to join up and - if nothing else - just read the back-and-forths, and judge for yourself if it is likely to benefit you. I suspect it will.

The first part of Wiki's definition is what most people will understand to be "snake oil".

That has not been the experience of people who I have "seen" participating in that group. People have and do use it. I have not read negative comments.

The woman who manages that online group also owns what has become the reference "bible" for CRF info http://felinecrf.org Here's what she has to say about Astro's Oil.

The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with exaggerated marketing but questionable or unverifiable quality. (Wikipedia) That's the rest of Wiki's definition...as I indicated, none of those daily caregivers has expressed that either.

So, pookie769, I would say, I guess it isn't snake oil.

"Keep in mind that with all internet forums, the experience and knowledge base of the participants will vary."
- Lisa A. Pierson DVM
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Goodness. I forget sometimes we have people that take things literal. This is what I wrote and I question whether I had used the right phrase "The product is snake oil but the idea is not (does that make sense)" Obviously it didn't work out.

IMO the product is a waste of money when you can buy the exact same thing locally for far less. Yeah, you might not be able to get those exact measurements that the product claims you need but cats are not an exact science.

Again waste of money for the astros oil but not a waste of money for salmon oil and Coenzyme Q10 (if it works). The vit E is just for the salmon oil which they normally already contain. Both bottles shouldn't be more than $15 each and would be far more than 60ml. 1 standard salmon oil soft gel is 1000mg which is about 1.12ml (using vegetable oil density on a calculator), you normally get a hundred soft gels (which equals about 112ml) for about $15. CRF Oil 60ml for $30 not including shipping. If you get it just sprinkle some oil and q10 on a proper diet and you should be good to go.

Good luck
chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement