Corncob bedding as cat litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Corncob bedding as cat litter?

I've been looking for a less expensive alternative to World's Best Cat Litter. Previously I had tried Purina Start 'n' Grow, the only chick feed I can find in my suburban area, but my cats started eating it and it made them sick. Dr. Jean was posting on here at the time, and she said that it was likely due to added vitamins and minerals.

No one appears to sell unmedicated chick feed locally, but a feed store owner has suggested that I try corncob bedding, which is used for birds and small animals like ferrets. I can't find much info online about it being used as cat litter, but this site says it can be.

I'm guessing it doesn't really work that well, since I've never seen it recommended or even mentioned here. But I figured I'd at least ask: Has anybody tried corncob bedding as litter, and did it work? Thanks for any info.
Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Im not sure about corn cob bedding, but Arm N hammer makes a corn cob litter that seems much cheaper than World Best but it has a different consistency. I have only seen it at Walmart though, for some reason I didnt notice it at Petco or Petsmart.
ls84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I've used corn cob litter and I've used wheat litter, but I always go back to Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra, sometimes mixed with Cat Attract. Wheat and corn are allergens for many cats, and I can't take any chances with Gizmo's asthma. Precious Cat litters are clay, clumping, dust free (really!), and unscented. I scoop once a day, and we have NO problems. I used to scoop twice a day, but since I switched to a quality wet food diet, he doesn't need that extra scooping ifyaknowwhutimean.

greenighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Sounds like it's more common than I thought! I'll look around for some commercial varieties to try, and if they work, maybe I'll investigate the feed store stuff. Thanks for the info.
Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I am in love with Southern States breeder/layer chicken feed as a cat litter. It's perfect in every way!

=(^.^)= Elsie
CataholicsAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I use the corn cob stuff as litter for my ferret. I don't think my cats would use it. But it is cheap, I get 25lb bags, for like $20.
Loving_My_Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement