Revolution reaction? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Revolution reaction?

Our cats have always had Revolution as flea preventative. We (I guess) are bad parents, and only get it during flea season (and sometimes, not at all depending on where we're living). Our cats are fed raw, and sometimes get brewers yeast in their food to help combat fleas.

We really dislike using any chemical products if we don't have to, obviously.

We recently moved into a 3 apt building, basement level. The upstairs neighbours just got a dog, so we got Revolution earlier this month to give the cats until flea season is done.

It's not been about a week since we applied, and our eldest cat (Zaq) has a bald patch where we put the meds! It's got little raised red bumps, as well. He is not seemingly bothered by it, as I can fuss him and he just keeps doing cat things.

This is the FIRST time we've dealt with this issue! He's been on Revolution before, all the cats got a dose from the same box. No one else is losing hair or getting red bumps.

Anyone any ideas? I plan on ringing the vet tomorrow to ask, but as he doesn't seem bothered, I don't see the point in rushing him to the ER vet.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thats a common reaction with revolution. I've had two cats react that way in the past. I use advantage or frontline instead. I think it works better and I've never had a negative side effect.

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Is it weird that it's never happened before?

I mean, over his 14 years, he's had Revolution almost every year (until I started to hesitate using chemicals a few years ago, and then still, he's had it whenever we moved to a place with dogs/outdoor cats or a new cat came home). My mother suggested it was because of his age, but then why didn't it happen last summer?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

It's happened to Twinkie also. My vet suggested either varying the application spot (I don't really see how that's possible as I never really know for sure where I'm applying it until after it's on) or - my solution - I switch off between Revolution and Frontline Plus alternate months.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I don't know, I think its like any allergy and can just pop up out of the blue after years of exposure. Thankfully it really isn't a big deal. It just causes the allopecia (hair loss) and maybe some mild irritation. I would just alternate to a different product.

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement