List of flowers that ARE safe?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default List of flowers that ARE safe?!

I know theres a HUGE list of plants that are toxic to cats ad dogs..but I love flowers and plants and it would be easier to have a list of common house plants/flowers that come in bouquets that ARE safe...just in case I wanted to grab some flowers at the store or a plant at home depot. Its hard to remember all the toxic ones...so maybe we could make a short list of more common plants we CAN keep in the house. I'll start with the things I do have now that are common.

Lucky bamboo
Daisies
Petunias
ls84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: List of flowers that ARE safe?!

Here's a list of non-toxic plants, flowers, seasonings. Sorry, it's kind of extensive....all three on your list are non-toxic, of course.

http://www.sniksnak.com/plants.html

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I really wish there were more widely available information about HOW toxic the various plants are. For example, Impatiens is on that toxic list, but I've also seen it on "non-toxic" lists and I can assure that Stormy has eaten several impatiens plants gradually, leaf-by-leaf, with no ill effects.

Similarly, after reading that English Ivy, while toxic, is pretty much the may-upset-kitty's-stomach kind of toxic, I let my ivy live in the apartment for a month while my office was being finished. Stormy ate her share with no ill effects (I mean, she barfed a lot, but she didn't barf more than usual. Stormy always barfs a lot.). At least, there were no ill effects to Stormy -- the ivy is now in my office and is a little the worse for wear.

It also depends on how prone the cat is to eating plants. We used to get Easter Lilies all the time growing up, and while I would never recommend bringing a true lily into a house with cats (they're just too poisonous to mess around with, but we didn't know that then) we never had any problems along those lines: the cats we had when I was a kid just weren't plant-eaters. While I wouldn't bring something like a lily into a house with a cat (note: peace lilies are not actually lilies and are much less toxic) the level of toxicity I'd be comfortable with would depend on the cats plant-munching habits.

I also gather that things that are toxicity problems for dogs are not always problems for cats. Dogs will do things like eat entire plants, entire bowls of chocolate, dig up bulbs and eat them, that sort of thing. Cats, not so much. I've had an amaryllis for years and even with Stormy it hasn't been a problem: the toxic part is the bulb and she's not likely to dig that up and eat it. (Actually, she doesn't really eat the leaves much, either. I guess amaryllis isn't as yummy as impatiens is.)
Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah, I caught my friends kitten eating their aloe plant, and its on the list of toxic plants as well. But then I did more research to discover its may possibly make their stomachs upset. Its just so hard to remember the common safe plants I can bring home. I dont even accept bouquets of flowers anymore, or I give them away when I get them because its impossible to know the exact variety of the flowers in a mixed bunch someone hands you. Even at the store when they have sales on making your own bouquet most of the flowers arent even marked as to what they are!
I had a scare with lilies from a wedding recepetion centerpiece and now I just got rid of most of my plants except my bamboo because it was easier than not knowing 100% about all my little miniature palm plants and random stuff.
ls84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Lucky bamboo is not actually bamboo at all, but a member of the Dracaena species. It is actually mildly toxic, but usually doesn't do anything worse than cause an upset tummy & maybe some vomiting.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Here's a list of toxic plants that are rated:
http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/ce ... ox-COM.htm
And here's another one that, if you click on the plant it will give a list of possible symptoms, ie: vomiting, diarrhea, death...
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... oxicplants
Advertisement