Struvite Crystals -- Need Diet Recommendations - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Struvite Crystals -- Need Diet Recommendations

My cat currently had surgery to remove Struvite stones from her bladder. The vet recommended I feed her strictly with the Hill's Prescription Diet C/D however my cat despises the food and won't eat (I despise it also). I also read the label and a lot of it contains pork by products, Corn Gluten Meal, Ash 2% --all those I thought were bad in a canned cat food. I have been recently feeding her Natural Balance Ultra Formula which has very similiar ingredients but missing the Vitamin C and cranberry I noticed in some canned cat foods.

I am trying to prevent the stones from reoccuring, if anyone could possibly recommend a diet that is just as recommended as the Hill's Prescription Diet c/d?

Is the Natural Balance Ultra Formula good? And what are the key ingredients that reduces the chances of the stones from reoccuring?

Thank you
Cattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: Struvite Crystals -- Need Diet Recommendations

I have a post on this thread that will help you out with some info
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.ph...546297#p546297
chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I feed my cats Natural Balance, and I think highly of the food as a whole. It has good, high quality ingredients and seems to be quite tasty (to the cats, at least. I haven't tried it myself

With that said, my first pick for a food for a cat with a history of crystals would be EVO. I've done a good deal of reading on the subject of crystals and food, and it seems that the best choice of food would be one high in protein, low in carbs, and most importantly, canned.
Basicly, struvite crystals for when the cat's urine becomes too alkaline, and having concentrated urine further complicates the matter. Wet food is a necessity because it dilutes the urine and makes it more likely that deposits in the urine will be flushed out before they have a chance to clump together and create crystals & blockages.
Carbohydrates are shown to increase the pH of urine, making it more alkaline, where protein does the opposite, and help to create a pH in the normal range for a cat, so you will want a food with fewer carbs.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Nell gave you some great info.
Here's an article that has more.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017
I would look for a canned foods that are high protein and NO grains, if possible. Ultra has rice I believe, so I would chose one of the others like Chicken Liver Pate. Evo is great or Wellness too. Stay away from any low cal, indoor formulas.
I would only add cranberry carefully and for a short time and NOT while he's on the prescription food! You don't want to acidify to urine too much for too long or you could end up with oxalate crystals which are even harder to get rid of.
You may need to have him on the C/D (or another prescription diet) for a while to make sure all the crystals are dissolved. Just make sure it's wet only. No dry food at all! After that, a good quality wet food, as mentioned above, should do the trick. Absolutely no dry food or snacks. You can even add a little water to his meals. Keeping your kitty well hydrated is one of the most important things you can do. I would only give spring water, especially to a kitty prone to crystals. Tap water often contains fluoride and chlorine which are bad for cats and can be high in minerals etc. Also, timed meals is key with a cat prone to FlutD. Free feeding can cause the system to become rather alkaline whereas two or three meals a day give the body time to naturally acidify between meals.
Hope that helps.
Good luck with him!
Advertisement