My cat is Wheezing and Choking!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat is Wheezing and Choking!!

I have an F-3 Savannah cat and she is 2 years old. She has never been sick. It started a few days ago when she kept trying to gag, but nothing would come out. I was hoping that it was just going to be a furball. The last couple of days have been worst. Now, it sounds like she is wheezing. Here is a video of this morning. What do you think is wrong with her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPcv__e9cA

How much do you think the VET will charge?

Thanks
prayers123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: My cat is Wheezing and Choking!!

I only watched and listened to 40 seconds of the video. Your cat looked distressed (laboring to breathe) to me and sounded awful.

GET HER TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY.

She either has a terrible sinus inflamation or she has something stuck in her airway. Both will require vet care and either could have serious consequences for her (death) if you don't act right away and delay any required treatment. I don't mean to frighten you, but I do mean to light a fire under your butt about this cat needing to be seen right away. Like today. Either with your usual vet or with an emergency vet.
Ask the vet about cost when you get there, I don't know what your vet(s) charge. At this point, I would consider this an emergency and **** the costs, just get her well. I know other people have other responsibilities and limitations different from mine, but I feel your cat is in distress and you need to do something for her.

Do let us know how things work out. Whatever your cat is suffering from, what the vets discover and how they treat her could help out other cat owners whose cats are having similar symptoms.
Heidi

ps...
I had a cat who had trouble breathing, she was a young cat and ate a Betta fish. The fish got lodged in her throat and she vomited him up but her breathing was bubble-y and raspy. She was scoped at the E-vet and they found nothing so sent her home. She was still wheezing over night and the next morning. I came home at lunch to check her and she was fine. I think she sneezed and dislodged a fish-part that had lodged in her sinuses and free'd her airway herself.
At the time, I felt her breathing being compromised required a vet visit, even though it turned out there was nothing the vet could do. I still felt better for knowing her trachea was clear.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Agreed. This cat needs to get to the vet immediately.
There's absolutely no way of knowing what it would cost until your vet sees her. It could be something caught in her throat that can just be pulled out (only by a vet!) or it could require surgery. It could be pneumonia or a million other things. There's just no way to know. But, whatever it is, it will probably get worse and more expensive the longer you wait.
Good luck and please keep us posted!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I only watched and listened to 40 seconds of the video. Your cat looked distressed (laboring to breathe) to me and sounded awful.

GET HER TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY.

She either has a terrible sinus inflamation or she has something stuck in her airway. Both will require vet care and either could have serious consequences for her (death) if you don't act right away and delay any required treatment. I don't mean to frighten you, but I do mean to light a fire under your butt about this cat needing to be seen right away. Like today. Either with your usual vet or with an emergency vet.
Ask the vet about cost when you get there, I don't know what your vet(s) charge. At this point, I would consider this an emergency and **** the costs, just get her well. I know other people have other responsibilities and limitations different from mine, but I feel your cat is in distress and you need to do something for her.

Do let us know how things work out. Whatever your cat is suffering from, what the vets discover and how they treat her could help out other cat owners whose cats are having similar symptoms.
Heidi

ps...
I had a cat who had trouble breathing, she was a young cat and ate a Betta fish. The fish got lodged in her throat and she vomited him up but her breathing was bubble-y and raspy. She was scoped at the E-vet and they found nothing so sent her home. She was still wheezing over night and the next morning. I came home at lunch to check her and she was fine. I think she sneezed and dislodged a fish-part that had lodged in her sinuses and free'd her airway herself.
At the time, I felt her breathing being compromised required a vet visit, even though it turned out there was nothing the vet could do. I still felt better for knowing her trachea was clear.
Thanks for your response. Well, I took her to the VET and he said that it could be some type of cat cold (virus). He could tell that the there was lots of congestion. He could not tell if it was from down in the stomach or in the throat. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and sent me home with some medicine. He prescribed two typse of medicine to give her everyday. The first is called Gentamicin Sulfate (nose drops), and the other is Amoxicillin drops to be shot down her throat twice per day. The bill cost $165 which was less than I expected.

He said to call back in 3 days if she doesn't get better. I will keep you informed.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh good! I'm so glad you brought her in. That was scary!
The antibiotics will stop any secondary infection from taking hold but it won't clear up the congestion. It's really important to get it cleared up because, if it gets up into her sinuses and she can't smell, she may stop eating and that can be a big problem. Something that is incredibly helpful clearing up congestion is, get your bathroom all nice and steamy and putting her in there for about 15 minutes 3 or 4 times a day. I would actually sit in there with them when I did it. It is extremely effective.
Hope she's feeling better soon!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Whew! I am so glad it seems to be something mild. I'll tell you, I was fearful that your cat had something caught in her throat and would need surgery. I'm glad it is something that antibiotics can help clear up. I feel great relief.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Heidi
Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Whew! I am so glad it seems to be something mild. I'll tell you, I was fearful that your cat had something caught in her throat and would need surgery. I'm glad it is something that antibiotics can help clear up. I feel great relief.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Heidi
At first I thought it might be a bird stuck in her throat. About 10 days ago, a bird came in through the cracked sliding glass door. The only thing I could see were some feathers and blood. No bird was found which led me to believe the cat ate the bird. When the wheezing sound started, this leads me to believe that it was not the bird. Also, my other cat started to get sick about 10 days ago which probably spread to my Savannah.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayers123
...my other cat started to get sick about 10 days ago which probably spread to my Savannah.
Did you bring in your other cat to the vet, too? If not, I hope the vet gave you enough meds to also treat that kitty, otherwise if you get one well while the other is still sick, they'll just keep passing it back and forth to each other.
h
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Well, I didn't bring the other cat to the VET, because she looks healthy now.

I hope that antibiotic shot that the VET gave her kicks in soon, because the wheezing and the choking is getting worst. Also, it is VERY difficult to put the nose drops in, because she goes wild. Hopefully, I will be able to squeeze the syringe and get the liquid down her throat!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

As I said, the antibiotics will not do anything to make her better, they are just a precaution against any secondary infections. The URI is a viral infection and has to run it's coarse, just like a cold, 2 weeks or 14 days. In the meantime, especially if she's getting worse, you should do the steam therapy. Also, make sure she's eating and drinking. It's important that she doesn't get dehydrated.
Advertisement