HELP ME PLEASE WITH STRAY STARVING CAT - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default HELP ME PLEASE WITH STRAY STARVING CAT

Does anyone have some tips for me? I can't take this cat to the vet. I have ordered flea treatment and it will arrive in the mail this week some time. It has fleas really badly! The cat is like a walking skeleton, i have never seen anything so bad. It is so starving that it can hardly walk, it just lays there. I have managed to get it to eat a tiny piece of food but it keeps refusing everything.

I just want to help it and i don't know what i can do. I don't want it to die. Before everyone gets angry at me, the reason i can't take the cat to the vet is because i have agoraphobia. It was hard for me to even walk outside to get it. The person who helps me and brings me food is away for another week at least and the other person who is filling in only comes every 3 days or so.

They can't take the cat to the vet because they work while the vet is open. I live in an area where there is no rescue places and i know they would just destroy this cat, so would my vet because i don't have the money to pay for it.

I am giving it comfort and trying to help it. I spent all my money on the flea treatment and some worming medicine. The person who is helping me wouldn't buy it for me with my shopping (with my money!) and says i should throw the cat outside and not help it. That's why i bought it online.

I feel so alone because no one cares about the cat. To top it off i think it is the victim of a neighbour who has been starving it. I wish i could do more Thanks all i just needed to vent.
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Re: HELP ME PLEASE WITH STRAY STARVING CAT

And this isn't to ask for money or anything. I just want to talk about the cat. Thank you
Old 11-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Is the cat inside your house or apt?
You can give it a bath with Dawn dishwashing soap, which won't hurt it. A bad flea infestation can suck up the red blood cells and make the animal anemic to the point where the cat (or dog) will die.

Over-the-counter flea treatments contain pesticides that are dangerous for cats and dogs. They can actually become seriously ill with organ damage. The only safe ones are from the vets.

A cat who has not eaten to the point of starvation like you describe needs to see a vet. There is a point at which the starvation has caused permanent damage and the cat won't recover. You can try to force feed the cat. Add water to canned cat food to make it liquid enough to flow through a pediatric medicine syringe. On the syringe, the 5 ml mark is equal to a tsp. Give a small amount, a ml or so at a time, into the cheek pouch. Let the cat swallow it and give another. You are going to need to do this often, say a tsp every 30 minutes to hour at least, to get significant nutrition in the cat (the watery food won't have a large amount of calories). As the cats gets some nutrition, it may perk up.

But honestly, it sounds like the poor really needs a vet. Try calling some rescue groups in your area. They can come pick up the cat and get it the help it needs. Would you be willing to take the cat in if it recovers? That could make a huge difference in whether they will help you.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Oh the poor cat!!and what a great thing your doing by trying to help it .Sadly if the cat has gone as long as you think it has without food and water it is likely it is alkready suffered some organ damage!and as much as you want to help it I would advise not giving the flea treatment and worming unless a vet has given the poor thing a once over, because it may do more harm than good.You may want to try looking up all the (no kill) rescues in the surrounding areas.I also live in a very rural area with no resources for strays and other homeless animals.I have to drive 4 hours to take the cats we rescue to a no kill shelter and to help foster cats there, for them helping me by taking the cats to find them homes.Good luck!!
furbabylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

What you are doing is very kind, but I also have to say that sometimes, humane euthanasia is also kind. I tried to save a starving (skeleton, collapsing) kitty last year. I worked with my vet and fed him fabulous food in my home for 6 weeks, with no improvement. As a matter of fact, he continued to lose weight.

When I finally realized he would not recover, I made the hard decision to release him from his life. I was very sad to lose him, but very glad, VERY glad, that I had been able to show this poor abandoned/feral love and care in my home before he left this world.

Best of luck to you,
Heidi
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I agree that maybe you could call a no-kill rescue group in your area if you have one. Explain your situation to them and see if they can help or find someone who can. If you can't find one then maybe the ASPCA or the Humane Society could provide some assistance and investigate if the neighbor is responsible for the cat's condition.

Your personal helper sounds heartless. I'm sorry that you have to deal with that kind of callous attitude towards living creatures when you are trying to help. And, I think it's wonderful that you are trying to help despite your own troubles. Thank you.
Michelle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I always try to give a sick animal every possible chance to get well. I feel strongly that this cat needs the help of a vet. Please do call a no kill rescue, and see if someone will help you.

I don't know how your friends or family could turn down your pleas for help. How sad. I would certainly take the advice you were given until you can get professional help. I hope someone will pick up some Nutrical for you. It's a very nourishing gel, that will help put weight on the kitty. This is one of God's little creatures. I pray that you can help it.

I understand your fear. With help I pray that you can overcome it. God bless you.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you for all your replies! I will have to wait until my normal helper comes because they might take it to the vet, i did call them and they said no it's not my cat and not worth spending money on and i can't keep it. I am hoping if i beg they will change their mind.

I did call the vet and the vets didn't care, they just lectured me about how i will get fleas in my place and they will be hard to get rid of. They said it would cost $150 for an after hours consult. That is the only time the fill in helper can go. I asked the helper to go and they wouldn't.

There isn't any no kill rescue places around here. My regular helper gets back next Monday so i have to keep kitty alive for another week. I can't wait until the flea treatment gets here, i read that 70 fleas can take 1ml of blood per day, so they are literally sucking the life out of this kitty. I think if i can get rid of his fleas he will have more energy.

What do you think would be best? I ordered flea shampoo and spot on flea treatment and a flea comb. He won't let me bath him so to use the flea shampoo i would have to use a bucket of water and a cloth and wipe him.

I also got a spot on worm treatment. Do you think i should give him the flea treatment and then wait a few days before giving the wormer?

I tried to get rid of the fleas by wiping him with dilluted vinegar. I also put a couple of dabs of tea tree oil on him but was scared to use too much incase he licked it. I cloth washed him with a pet shampoo i had too.

For food i have tried egg and ham, all the cat foods i have, chicken, mince. He doesn't like any of it but i have managed to get him to eat a mouthful or two a day. I tried to syringe him juices off meat but he hated it and it was stressing him out.

Tomorrow my fill in helper does my shopping and i will get them to get as many different cat foods as i can, to try and see if he will eat it. I will also ask for canned tuna. I read that i should try and tempt kitty to eat by finding stinky food that would make him hungry, like fish.

If anyone has some ideas on what food i could buy kitty please tell me. Thanks again everyone for being nice. I will have to take a photo of the kitty for you all to see how sweet he is
Old 11-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's best not to give him tuna, but you can use some of the juice to tempt him. I would get the kind packed in water. In his condition, I think oil would be hard to digest.

Make sure you don't use Hartz flea treatment. Since he's so weak, I would use the least toxic treatment possible. It's best not to use an insecticide on ill animals.

We should never worm an ill animal. Give him extra nutrition. I wish you the best.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

if it is at all possible ( probablly not likely since you said he wouldn't let you bathe him) but if you can get him by the scruff and wash him with some regulard dawn dish detergant(original) and keep it on for a few minutes, that will kill the fleas and it won't be as hard on his already weakened system!this will not kill the eggs however!so comb with flea comb and repeat every few days.Be sure to dry him off good too.Also crush up a vitamin c tablet daily and mix with enoug water to put into a syringe and squirt into pocket of cheek ( never down the throat!!!) and get lysine (at any drugstore,or order it online) crush this up and mix with his food, it has NO TASTE!!force feeding him may be needed! to do so mix his food with water(smooth enough to come out of syringe) and again squirt into cheek....he may resist! do this every few hours!and lastly, be patient and don't blame yourself if he doesn't make it! I work with ferals and I go this all the time!sometimes an animal is just too sick to save! if you can,when your able...do get him to a vet!good luck!
furbabylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement