Worms in water bowl - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Worms in water bowl

During the summer I noticed in my automatice water bowl little like worms swimming around. I had had the water bowl for a long time and even though I cleaned it every week thought there was something in the motor filter part that I wasn't getting clean. I threw it away and bought a new automatic water bowl. Today I found the worms are back. I am at a loss. I don't know what they are or where they come from. I clean my water bowls every week. I know what cat uses that bowl over the regular bowl. I have a cat that doesn't like the moving water. So if they are coming from a cat I know what one because they are only in the automatic bowl. The cat has just had blood and urine tests which all came back normal. I live in a condo and she goes in my postage stamp back yard sometimes. I have looked online and can't find anything. Should I be concerned? Has anyone ever heard of this? I am thinking I may leave them in the bowl but obviously put the bowl where the cat can't get to it and take the worms into the vet on Monday. Any ideas? Thanks Amy
Amy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Re: Worms in water bowl

Hmm, I doubt they are from the cat, maybe some insect is laying its eggs in there?
Xanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Right now it is winter so it wouldn't be fly's which I thought of when it happened before. When it first happened the water bowl was in the kitchen now it is in the basement. So it isn't even like it could be something I have the water bowl next to. One of the reasons my cat had blood work and urine test was because she lost weight in a year. I just thought it was because she was outside more. If she had a parasite would her labs come back with something.

I tried to get a picture of the worms but they are to small. They are light colored with a black head and tail. Very little black but it is there. Then the rest of their body is off white.

And why would the worms only be in the automatic water bowl? The new one. Wouldn't it be in all water bowls if it was coming from my cats?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just really concerned now.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That's ok. I am almost 100% positive they will not be from the cats. It is a bit strange now that it's winter, but are there any small flies, gnats, or even crickets around? I guess there are no mosquitoes at this time of the year. Something is laying its eggs in there, I'm pretty sure of it.

Good idea to take them to a vet though, they will probably know what it is.

*edit* I have just found another person on the net who had the same thing, the worms sound the same as yours and the vet said they were off the tiny fruit flies.
Xanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Have you tried cleaning your waterer with bleach? Do you have city water or well water?

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Leazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone who has replied. I feel a lot better. I really hope they are not from my cats.

This time around I have not seen any fruit flies, any flies, gnats or crickets. I have seen a few spiders but that is it. Why would it only lay it's eggs in the water that continues to move? Weird that both times it has only been in my automatic bowls. I am afraid to use them now, I think I will stick to regular bowls.

I am glad you found someone else who had this. Last time I looked for hours and I have been looking all day today this time and have not been able to find much info on the net. What I do find doesn't look like my worms.

I have not tried cleaning my water with bleach. How do you do that and still have it safe for them to drink? I have city water and have a water purifier that I use when I fill their bowls.

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Xanti,
I just went to get a sample of the worms to take to the vet. I had found a container to put them in. And guess what I found, a couple fruit flies. I was not aware I had them, I don't even have any fruit or other food sitting out. But I bet that is where they came from. Thanks for your great advice and research.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement