WHITE THICK FILM IN CATS EYE - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default WHITE THICK FILM IN CATS EYE

THERE IS A WHITE THICK FILM IN MY ONE CATS EYE. THERE IS ALSO GUNKY LIKE PUS AROUND EDGES OF EYE AND CRUSTY BLACK STUFF AROUND EYE TOO. THE EYE IS USUALLY HALF OPEN. SHE SEEMS OK OTHER THAN THE ONE BAD EYE. SHE IS A 13 YEAR OLD PERSIAN. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS AND WHAT SHOULD I DO. THE VET WOULD COST ME A LOT THAT I DONT HAVE. UNLESS IT IS CRITICAL TO TAKE HER TO VET, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP HER.
THANK YOU
STORMAN2327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Re: WHITE THICK FILM IN CATS EYE

Cats have a protective eye membrane, the "nictitating membrane" which humans don't have. This membrane only shows if the cat has hurt its eye or is protecting its eye for some reason. Sounds like that is the case, and your kitty should see a veterinarian to see what the cause is....

Good luck, hope it is something that will heal up easily....And welcome to the Cat Forum!

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This membrane is also called a '3rd eyelid'. If it's showing, there's a problem. It can be a sign of a systemic problem (e.g. parasites), but since there's goop in the eye, it sounds like your cat either has an infection or maybe scratched her eye. A vet visit is definitely in order, this isn't something that is likely to clear up on it's own. Letting it go could very easily lead to needing to remove the eye, which would be awful for the cat and much more expensive in the long run.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMAN2327
...UNLESS IT IS CRITICAL TO TAKE HER TO VET, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP HER.
You can take her to the vet. Eyes are delicate, can be injured and permanantly damaged easily and do not regenerate/heal well without prompt attention. Your cat is already squinting her eye, which means she is in discomfort/pain.
I'm sorry, your kitty needs to see a vet. I do not think this is something you can treat at home. There are specific treatments for specific eye ailments (scratches, viruses, ulcers, et cetera) and if you mix up and use the medication for one problem on a different eye problem, you risk permanantly damaging your cat's eye.
Heidi
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Please take her to the vet. The sooner the better. Eye problems don't usually clear up on their own and can get much worse (and more expensive).

......Abby...........Baby................Jack..... ........Simon................Daisy.........Cat Ramble Blog
kata5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement