Cat fight injury. How should I take care of it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat fight injury. How should I take care of it?

My outside unnuetered male cat was recently in another fight with my neighbors cats late last night. His eye bore the brunt of it. The eyeball itself doesn't seem to be damaged, but I'm worried about infection. He has signifigant hair loss on the lower lid, and i believ there is a scrath/puncture, but there is large buildup of pus surrounding and covering it. He has a small puncture on the outside corner of his eye. Also, the upper lid is very red and swollen. He's been sleeping almost all day. I've tried to clean it and put neosporin on it, but he flinches and tries to bite when I get near the wound. I'd like to get him to the vet, but he is very violent when crated, and does not hesitate to bite me or my family when aggrivated. I don't think my vet would make a house call. Is there anyone here who can help? A vet contact list for free?
featherdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Cat fight injury. How should I take care of it?

Buy or borrow some welding gloves, put on a heavy coat, and get that boy in a crate and to the vet ASAP. You can help keep him calmer in the crate by keeping the crate covered with a blanket. Injuries near the eyes need to be taken care of promptly, esp. since you can't be certain that the eye itself wasn't injured. Without treatment, it's likely that the wound will abscess. It even has the potential to turn into a systemic infection. The longer you wait to get him proper veterinary treatment, the more possible he may become seriously ill and require hospitalization.

While you have him at the vet, I recommend you seriously consider getting him neutered.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Alright. I'm just afraid he may harm the vet during the visit. Would he need to be put on drugs to keep him calm? I would really like to get him neutered too, but cost is really hurting me now. If he needs eye surgery, I may have to surrender him to the vet, which I would be willing to do if its the only option. I'll try and make a appt. tomorrow, so we'll see. Thank you for replying so fast!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Oh, and while he is injured, should I bring him inside? He doesn't really get along well with my other pets, but maybe I could make the dog & kitten sleep in the living room, and bring Miles (the cat) into my room..But would that cause too much stress and wear down his immune system?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Vets know how to safely handle difficult cats. The vet may sedate Miles before even taking him out of the carrier. Make sure you let the vet know BEFORE the appt that finances are a problem for you. Hopefully the vet will be able to work out some sort of payment plan with you. Maybe you can even offer to work at the clinic cleaning cages in exchange for the vet bill. Never hurts to ask, anyway.

I would bring Miles in and keep him separated from your other cats. Intact tom cats fight with each other instinctively, so as long as Miles stays outside, he's going to continue to get into fights that are going to land him at the vet's and cost you more money.

I sure hope you can work something out with your vet, but if you can't, try contacting your local humane societies and animal rescues. They may be able to provide you with low cost vet services.

Good luck,

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement