Prevent gingivitis - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Re: Prevent gingivitis

Okay, thanks. Also, where am I supposed to get chicken to feed raw? I don't know of any real "butchers," just grocery stores, although we do have specialty grocery stores that carry more high end products. Are there any brands that I should look for or avoid?
newkitty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Cat

You can get chicken at the grocery store. Just check the package some brands add broth to the chicken, you want just plain ol' chicken.

I really suggest that you don't just jump into this. Spend some time researching raw, yahoo groups has a great group rawcat you could join.

Rawfeeding isn't necessarily hard but you can't walk blindly into either.

Leslie
Jack&Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Okay, thank you for the information. I'm definitely not jumping in, I still plan to feed a mostly commercial diet. Just looking for a raw treat now and then.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&Harley
Quote:
Liver contains too much Vit A; raw pork should also be avoided as it can transmit Aujezky's disease (harmless for humans, deadly for cats).
Do you have link showing/proving these things?

Leslie
I had a discussion about liver on another forum, and the conclusion of those in the know there was that liver once or maybe at the most twice a week was OK. You can find data both ways on that so a link isn't going to prove much. I don't recognize that disease in raw pork, but in the US it's well known that pork might contain trichinosis which affects both humans and cats. Freezing it in a deep freeze (-20F) for two weeks will kill the trich larvae. That data is from the USDA. I looked it up once. You should still find it on their website; I think it's on the FDA site as well.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

[A little off-topic - Leslie:

Here's a brief commentary on harm of too much Vitamin A, plus a link to general cat nutrition articles.

http://felineinstincts.ca/index.php?s=too+much+liver

http://felineinstincts.ca/?page_id=24

And a tip of the hat to Dr. Jean here at CF and lots of information

http://www.thensome.com/drjean/ ]

On-topic: we use that seaweed power Plaque Off, with very good results. If Gracie occasionally gets some pinkish irritated gums despite the Plaque Off, only one or two regular tooth brushings remedies the problem for her.

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Fran,

Is it the one made by ProDen? How long does a bottle last you?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yes, it is by ProDen. We bought a little jar and have had it more than a year now, we will probably need to buy a new one this summer...

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Tim, Aujezky's Disease is pseudorabies, a viral disease that is deadly to cats and dogs. It is transmitted through infected pigs and rats. My vet has warned me that pork from the southern part of my state presents a significant danger of pseudorabies infection, but local pork (I'm in the northern part of the state) presents minimal risk. To be safe, it's important to know the source of any pork intended to be fed raw. Unlike trichinellosis, pseudorabies virus can not be killed by freezing. It is, however, killed if the meat is boiled.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cat

well done and thanks Laurief, Coaster and Fran for explaining so well!

Beth,

good luck with trying out some raw food . If you do decide to feed more raw later on you should read up on raw feeding- but if you are thinking of it as an occasional treat (with teeth cleaning bonus) you should be fine with just trying out some chicken or turky meat and then taking it on from there.

Leslie- pseudorabies is probably the main reason why you won't find pork in comercial cat food. One affected pig and the manufacturer would be facing a disaster!

Christine
cjh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Christine, that doesn't make sense to me. I assume that commercial pet foods are pretty much cooked and processed to death, which I assume would kill any pseudorabies virus present in pork meat. I could understand if commercial raw food manufacturers would avoid pork products, but cooked commercial foods should be safe to use pork, I would think.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement