can a cat live with ear polyps? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default can a cat live with ear polyps?

my cat had an extremely foul odor coming from ear, I took him to vet and the vet said he has polyps. he said that surgery would be the best route and that it was gonna run about a 1,000 dollars and even worse, it has a good chance of returning in as little as a month. he hasnt had any other symptoms whatsoever other than the smelly ear. the vet gave me antibiotics and what not. my question is , how long can a cat live with this thing? if left untreated, whats the worst that could happen? im a college student so cant just throw down 1,000 dollars with the possibility of having to do this again in a few months. should i wait for more symptoms to occur before considering this surgery? will the polyps get worse? or is there a chance that a stinky ear is as far as it will go? as he seems very healthy and playful. thanks in advance for your replies...
bradthebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Re: can a cat live with ear polyps?

It depends on the poplyps, and I would suggest a second opinion from another vet.

One of my cats has ear polyps, but the are just in the ear and my vet can see that the ear drum itself is not affected, and they don't ant further. He had a bad ear mite infestation when he was rescued from a hoarded with 93 other cats. He was on antiobiotics and twice daily eardrops for about a month to clean out the waxy debris in his ears, and I still need to clean his ears periodically because his earwax doesn't drain normally due to the polyps. But he doesn't require surgery because they are no naso-pharyngial polyps.

Naso-pharyngial polyps grow into the nasal passages and need to be removed surgically, and there's always a chance they will grow back.

Firstly, did your vet check to make sure he doesn't have mites? Even an indoor-only cat can still get mites, and if he's got them, they need to be treated. I don't think your vet could tell how far the polyps go without the ears being totally cleaned out, and it sounds like that isn't the case.

If it were me (knowing what I've had to learn about polyps) I would find another vet, preferably one who specializes in cats, if possible. Just to get a second opinion about what type of polyps your cat has.
Smirkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Please pardon all the typos in my previous post. I'm responding on my blackberry and seem to be suffering from fat-thumb sydrome this evening.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

hi, i thank you for your response, he said there were no mites in his ears, but i do know that he had them a couple of yrs ago so i believe thats what caused it? what do u suggest?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

All I can say is that it took about a month of cleaning my cats ears and the ear drops before my vet could say with some confidence that the polyps were only in the ears and were unlikely to be the naso-pharyngial type. She wanted to actually be able to visually see the ear drum. If she had seen polyps in the ear drum or very near, she wanted to do other types of imaging (xray? Ultasound? Not sure...) to see if they were the other kind which cause more damage and need to be removed.
I'm not a vet, and not even the most feline-educated layperson on these boards, but I recommend a second opinion before putting yoyr cat through surgery which is costly, unlikely to have a lasting impact on the condition, and dangerous (as any actual surgery is).
It is my understanding that if the polyps are only in the outer (pre-drum) section of the ear, then really you just need to help the cat out by cleaning his ears periodically. I do it every 4-6 weeks, when his ears start to really itch.
I hope you'll keep us updated as you explore different options, as this is what makes this forum such a great resource for cats and the people who car for them.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

sounds good, would like to hear from others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement