Squinty eye - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Squinty eye

We just noticed that Fern is squinting her right eye and we have no idea why. She wasn't doing it when we got up this morning, and she's never done it before. She has been banging around downstairs, so I suppose she could have bonked herself in the eye. It looks fine - the eyelids are the same color, no sign of irritation, and she's not pawing at it. Unless I see signs of irritation or discharge I'm not going to worry about it before tomorrow, if it continues. Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Squinty eye

Unless you see an obvious injury or her eye gets worse, I'd think you could wait till tomorrow morning to see how she's doing. If you have some veterinary eye antibiotic (NON-steroidal and approved for use in cats), it wouldn't hurt to put some in her eye a couple of times today.

Laurie
laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I agree with the above. It could be a little piece of litter got in their, or maybe a minor injury, or maybe the onset of a herpes flareup. If you have saline eye wash, you can squirt that directly on the eye to rinse it out. Cats have very minimal tear production, so if they get some irritant in there it takes a while to clear out. You might wake up tomorrow and it's all better. But if not, or gets worse, then see a vet.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Whenever stuff gets in my eye it seems to work its way out if I go to sleep, so I watched her after she took a nap.... Seems to be better. She's still doing it a little, but not as much. Then I watch her and her sister 'fighting', where they lay on the floor like yin and yang, front paws around each others heads, and occasionally one kicks the other one's head with back legs.... Fern probably got kicked in the eye and it's bothering her just enough to make her squint, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
Advertisement