How much canned food should an adult cat eat per day? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default How much canned food should an adult cat eat per day?

Nicky is my slender 9-year-old Ragdoll boy. By breed standards, he should be a pretty large cat, but has always been on the more petite and slender side. Since bringing home Miss Cassie Blue last October, Nicky seems to have even less interest in his dry food. I feed the two their canned food in separate rooms because if I don't, Miss Cassie will go after his too (she appears to be living up to breed standards so far). In general, they are both offered a 1/4 can of Wellness in the a.m. and another 1/4 in the evening (splitting a 5.5 oz can between the two of them daily). Occasionally he will 'mouth' the dry kibble that I leave out at all times if I put it directly in front of him, but usually this just results in him pushing the food around and barely eating any of it (he has eaten Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul for the longest time, showed promising interest in Innova for a while, and was offered Wellness dry - which he didn't seem to care for at all). I could just feed them more canned food, but we are sometimes away for long periods during the day and I would like them to continue to eat the dry food too.

How much canned food should an adult cat eat in a day?
Debbie of SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Re: How much canned food should an adult cat eat per day?

If the cat eats all wet food I'd say about one 5.5 oz. can each day unless it's a very large cat. Start with that and then watch his body condition, if he starts loosing weight feed more.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Does he finish his wet food? If so, I'd give him a little more each time. If he doesn't, seems like it might be a waste.
Smirkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
Does he finish his wet food? If so, I'd give him a little more each time. If he doesn't, seems like it might be a waste.
Most of the time he doesn't finish it. I refrigerate it and bring it out again later. Eventually he manages to eat his share of half the can. It doesn't seem like much..... Cassie, on the other hand, will eat her two servings when given to her and continue to nibble on the dry throughout the day. She's actually at a pretty decent weight, but Nicky doesn't really have much body weight to spare. I just hope that he's getting enough.
Debbie of SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement